General — TransplantLyfe

General

Antibody test

AliEm14Expert
Transplant Patient
Updated June 16, 2021 in General

Hey!

I'm just wondering how you all got your antibody tests done. I know some people have, and I know as transplant recipients we're less likely to develop antibodies. I'm fully vaccinated and just want to know if I have any, but my transplant centre got back to me today and said they don't do them/cover them. Can you request one through your GP? How did you all go about getting yours?

1 - 7 of 7 Replies

• DonnyCTransplant Patient

Hi, Ali! In N.A., both LabCorp & Quest do COVID vaccine antibody serum draw. Transplant physician or GP can write the Rx for the panel. I have done it 2x. Hope there's a location close to you!

June 14, 2021
  • ChristopherTransplant Patient

I got my antibody test results back and it was NON REACTIVE which means the 2 doses of the Pfizer vaccine did not work in me. That means I still have to wear a mask everywhere I go. I have no protection. The only thing good about this is that it shows my immunosuppressant drugs are doing their job!! I had a liver transplant in March of 2020.

June 15, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

@DonnyC i just looked into this! The closest location for me is 5 hours away :(

June 15, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I’m debating if I even pursue the antibody test or just leave it. I’ll still wear a mask and wash my hands regardless. And no test or number holds the power to make me feel safe in my body - I do that. For me it ultimately comes down to do I trust my body enough to be ok with not knowing?

or do I drive 5 hours and pay out of pocket for a test that may or may not be accurate 😂

June 15, 2021
  • DonnyCTransplant Patient

Wow! Yeah, I can't see driving 5 hours to anything except the beach, lol. Sounds like most of us transplant guys will have to just keep being as careful as we can for a bit until they figure something out.

June 15, 2021
  • ChefAmandaTransplant Patient

I took the antibody test. I’m currently waiting for my results. Regardless of the results I’m still going to wear a mask, wash my hands and take precautions.

June 15, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

@ChefAmanda i feel like that’s the best thing to do. A positive or negative test won’t change how I live my life anyway

June 16, 2021