General — TransplantLyfe

General

Sick lit

AliEm14Expert
Transplant Patient
June 25, 2021 in General

You ask, I deliver. Just consider me your fairy godmother!

In my journal we’re talking about “sick lit”, or movies and books with main characters dealing with some major illness. And I thought I’d make a post so we can all share our faves and maybe find some new summer reads?

I’ll go first! As a teen I loved Lurlene McDaniels. They’re super old, cliche novels but teenage me loved them. Also faves are obviously The Fault in Our Stars, 5 feet apart and my sister’s keeper.

Tagged:

1 - 7 of 7 Replies

• Yodster321Transplant Patient

Movies would be on Netflix 2 hearts. Very well done movie

June 25, 2021
  • TaylorCTransplant Patient

I haven't watched it yet, but my younger sister was telling me about that movie called 5 Feet Apart? I've been wanting to check it out, is it a good watch ?

June 25, 2021
  • ChefAmandaTransplant Patient

@TaylorC I loved the movie Five Feet Apart! I also really enjoyed the book.

June 27, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I've never seen that one but I'll add it to my list!

June 28, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I love it! It's focused on cystic fibrosis and a lung transplant. Some things aren't entirely accurate or realistic but all in all they did a really good job. And they had actual CF patients consult on the movie. One thing I love in movies is when they don't shy away from medical equipment and devices, and this movie had a lot of that on full display, which I felt like really highlighted what the medical experience is like instead of pretending our reality doesn't exist

June 28, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

did you watch the movie or read the book first? I feel like since the book was based on the movie maybe that made a difference? Usually i try to do the book first but in this case i watched the movie first

June 28, 2021
  • ChefAmandaTransplant Patient

@AliEm14 I went movie then book. There are some differences especially the ending. I really liked both. It’s rare for me to like the book and the movie.

June 28, 2021