General — TransplantLyfe

General

Beat the heat!

AliEm14Expert
Transplant Patient
Updated August 4, 2021 in General

While a lot of the world is enduring an epic heat wave right now, I want to hear how you're staying cool!

When I'm not hiding in my bedroom with the portable air conditioner, I love being in the water. We have a little pool we set up for our dog in a nice shady spot, and before it gets too late in the day I love to take a quick dip. I've been living in bikinis and sun dresses. When I'm out I always make sure I'm lathered in sunscreen (I'm pretty sure I'm the only one as pale as a ghost during the middle of summer) with a sunhat. I also fill up a spray bottle and mist myself frequently (I mix water and peppermint oil), and I drink a ton (If you're like me and don't love drinking water, try adding some flavour to it. I freeze lemon slices and put them in my water. Adds something cool and flavour!)

What are your beat the heat tips? How are you staying safe and enjoying the summer?

Tagged:

1 - 4 of 4 Replies

• JeanmarieTransplant Patient

I love the Summer! Summer is my specialty since I live in San Diego! Its basically Summer all year long. I love making infusing fruit with water. I have a large jar in the fridge with water and cucumbers. Sometimes I will add strawberries or oranges. Whichever fruit I might have. It makes the water refreshing.

I also love fun salads. I just made a vegan Tabbouleh salad with quinoa and chickpeas, fresh mint, lemon, cucumbers, tomatoes and parsley. And then I will make fresh Nice cream for dessert. Today is Mint chocolate chip. Just frozen bananas, peppermint extract and chocolate chips in the food processor. Super yummy and no added sugar :-)

My morning routine consists of face sunscreen and regular sunscreen everywhere else. It doesn't matter if I am only running errands and not planning on being directly in the sun, I always put on sunscreen.

June 29, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

@Jeanmarie i’m a northern girl so I’m not at all used to this heat! I don’t know how people do it!

fresh fruit and veggies are sustaining me this season. Like it’s not uncommon that that’s all I eat in a day now.

im on my way to the store to buy bananas to try your nice cream trick. Also yes to the sunscreen! Usually I don’t need it because it’s cold here and we don’t get a ton of sun 9 months out of the year but I always have it in my routine now. I find it it’s in my moisturizer I remember to put it on better

June 30, 2021
  • ChefAmandaTransplant Patient

I’m in Texas and the heat is pretty bad. I’m on dialysis so I have to watch my fluid intake regardless of the weather so I eat a lot of ice to help keep me cool and control my thirst. I also like to freeze grapes and blueberries as a nice cool snack.

I as well use lots of sunscreen, at times I wear a hat and I wear comfortable and light clothing.

June 30, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

@ChefAmanda i never thought about how dialysis would be affected by the weather too! I love that you found some cool treats. I’m in need of some summer clothes recommendations - my closet is 90% sweaters

July 1, 2021