General — TransplantLyfe

General

Transplant doesn't equal broken

AliEm14Expert
Transplant Patient
July 12, 2021 in General

I've been coming to a realization this past little while, which is I'm not broken. My body isn't bad, and there's nothing wrong with it. Shocking as I'm living with an organ that isn't my native organ, right? Let me explain. I grew up in the medical system, which literally profitted off of this idea that there was something wrong with my body. Which, at a gene level, there was a deviation from normal, or what we would call a rare genetic disorder. Then came an organ transplant, an organ not naturally mine, inside my body and all the meds, testing... that comes along with that. Living with a transplanted organ, as I'm sure you all know, isn't easy, and it comes with a whole host of symptoms and ailments and various other diseases and precautions, and I believed my immune system, since it was surpressed, was broken. But I'm not broken. And neither are you. My body presents as a deviation of normal. It's not common for someone to walk around with another's organ inside them. But is it bad? Does it mean you're broken or there's something wrong with you? Or is it just another expression of what it means to be human?

Just food for thought. I'm pondering this over on my instagram, which I've tagged below. I'd love to hear your thoughts on this topic

https://www.instagram.com/p/CROyk7QF3t4/

Tagged:

1 - 2 of 2 Replies

• Mc62Transplant Patient

I feel the same as you do. My transplant was 3 years ago. I became a widow shortly before that. I would like to meet someone, but it always feels awkward. Anyone have any thoughts?

July 12, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

oh my gosh, that's so much in a short period of time. I'm so sorry for your losses. I haven't been in your situation, but i did lose my son shortly before my transplant. For me fully processing my grief was so important, and when my instincts told me to move forward, I trusted that. I know the dating world is kind of crazy right now but if you're into internet dating I've heard that can be a good way to meet people, especially if you're not into in person meet ups yet. Or do the activities and things you love and use those as opportunities to meet people. I would always recommend being honest about your situation from the beginning, but i know different things work for different people. either way keeping secrets never seems to be the answer

July 13, 2021