Kidney — TransplantLyfe

Kidney

What are some tips to control thirst while on dialysis in the summer months?

ChefAmandaTransplant Patient
July 19, 2021 in Kidney

I am currently doing in-center dialysis and I also live in Texas where the heat can get disrespectful. Does anyone have a tips they are currently using or used in the past to keep cool and refreshed without drinking too much fluid?

TransplantLyfe Favorite

• JeanmarieTransplant Patient

I am not currently on dialysis but in the past and currently, I will freeze fruit. Grapes, strawberries, watermelon, mango. Its also how I broke eating ice cream all the time, haha. I also will use an ice pack around my neck to cool off if I feel like I am getting overheated.

July 19, 2021
  • trudyOther

Chef Amanda, I am also a dialysis patient who just joined this group! I have a ice crushing machine that makes sno- cone ice so I nibble on that! Frozen small berries like 🍇 grapes or raspberries and I buy the long pop ice that are flavored and freeze them!! Just count your fluids because it all matters!! Hope this helps you and please keep your chin up!

August 4, 2021

1 - 10 of 10 Other Answers

• ChefAmandaTransplant Patient

@Jeanmarie Oh that’s some great ideas. Thank you for sharing.

July 23, 2021
  • KARANTransplant Patient

@ChefAmanda I think the best way is to Yoga, Meditation and if this all not work

Best way is to Sleep maximun😜

July 23, 2021
  • Thank you!

August 11, 2021
  • Tbone59Other

I chew ice

September 15, 2021
  • Howanitz39Transplant Patient

I did pd dialysis during the summer so I could drink how much I wanted but when I did in center I was only allowed one 16oz bottle of fluids a day because they could not pull a lot of fluids because my blood pressure would always drop. I live in FL so what I would do is rinse my mouth out with very cold water all day. I stepped doing dialysis all together before the summer came. Good luck 💚

September 24, 2021
  • ChefAmandaTransplant Patient

@Howanitz39 Thank you for sharing that tip! I understand limiting my fluids because my blood pressure also drops during treatment.

September 24, 2021
  • Cecil74Transplant Patient

Sonic ice and sour candy

October 27, 2021
  • GeraldWaymanTransplant Patient

Sugar free chewing gum.

February 14, 2022