General — TransplantLyfe

General

Covid vaccine booster

KarinExpert
Transplant Patient
August 12, 2021 in General

Fauci just announced that transplant patients and other immune compromised pts will be authorized for a third shot of the vaccine shortly!

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2021/08/12/1027040851/covid-vaccine-booster-shots-immunocompromised?t=1628798341379

Tagged:

1 - 15 of 15 Replies

• MikpTransplant Patient

Another windfall for big pharm

August 12, 2021
  • ChefAmandaTransplant Patient

Thank you for sharing!

August 13, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

Now Canada just needs to get with the program! We’ve always been a few steps behind other countries in getting vaccines, but I’ll definitely be contacting my team. They’ve stated health concerns with me getting a third dose but I’m curious to see exactly what they think might happen and make an informed decision for myself

August 13, 2021
  • DonnyCTransplant Patient

Ended up getting a booster in early June after showing no spike protein antibody levels after a 2-shot Pfizer. Got a low-level response after the booster but definitely not as robust as hoped.

August 13, 2021
  • ChristopherTransplant Patient

I got my 3rd Pfizer booster shot today. I immediately went to the pharmacy as soon as they opened! I had the 2 Pfizer shots this Spring but they didn’t produce any antibodies in me according to a blood test I had. Hopefully this 3rd booster shot will do the trick. I’m so tired of this pandemic and it’s only getting worse now!

They told me that you should get the same type of vaccine you got in your first 2 doses. So, if you got Pfizer then stay with Pfizer for your booster shot.

August 15, 2021
  • AviTransplant Patient

What test do you do to find out your antibody level?

August 18, 2021
  • attagirl60Transplant Patient

I also had no antibody level, non reactive. Got my second shot in March, test in June showed nothing. Going for booster Friday the 20th. I am in the Covics study at UPMC Pittsburgh. I feel if I didn't make antibodies before, why would I make them now. My transplant team mentioned to me that one of my rejection drugs Cellcept (Mycophenolate ) is what is preventing the T-cells and B-cells from producing antibodies. So this drug is most likely the culprit.

August 18, 2021
  • PoisonRose21Transplant Patient

Hi.

My situation is a bit different, but thought I would share what I know from my experience so far.

I got my first two doses in January and February, respectively. At THAT point I was still on dialysis, peritoneal dialysis to be precise. I got my new Kidney in June.

In talking to my Nephrologists about getting the booster here's what they agree on. A Booster in my case would be helpful BECAUSE I have a better chance that I did develop some antibodies from the vaccine, prior to having the transplant. However, because I received IVs of Thymoglobulin while in the hospital immediately in the few day AFTER transplantation- I have to wait until I am at least three months post-transplant to get the booster for it to be effective.

August 31, 2021

Important that, health wise, it sounds like you're doing great post-transplant so that a good thing. 2nd shot will be a breeze; sorry you have to wait a bit.

August 31, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

After weeks of fighting with the government, and my province not approving boosters, tomorrow they are finally approving it. Sadly it’s going to the elderly and those in long term care facilities first, as well as travellers who need a third dose. But I’m trying to stay optimistic and at least I can book one now

August 31, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

Booked my Covid dose this morning. I could either wait a longer time and get it in the city closest to me, or drive an additional hour each way and get it this weekend. I chose the drive. Little bit anxious (I didn't get symptoms from the first 2 but who knows about the third shot) but I'm excited to have this additional protection

September 1, 2021
  • DebTransplant Patient

I got my booster yesterday!! I’m experiencing about the same symptoms as I did with my second vaccine. I’m really tired, and super sore arm but this time I’m chilling and have a headache. The headache could be the weather here. I wish you the best of luck and pray these boosters protect us more. Keep me updated!!

September 1, 2021

Glad you guys are able to get your boosters! Every layer of protection helps!

September 1, 2021
  • DebTransplant Patient

I sure hope so DonnyC. I’ll still be wearing mask and constantly cleaning my hands but that’s ok. I’m alive!!!

September 1, 2021