General — TransplantLyfe

General

Mushrooms

KarinExpert
Transplant Patient
August 12, 2021 in General

I love mushrooms / real mushrooms such as chanterelle, cepes etc and I love them pan fried in butter with a little salt - that’s it!

Unfortunately they are super dangerous for transplant patients - I have been told at the level of oysters. The reason is that they grow in mud and dirt and they have so many wrinkles that they are difficult to clean properly. So I have not had mushrooms for years - then tonight, being in Stockholm where the chanterelle toast is a national delicacy in the late summer/ early fall, I had one…

Within 90 min of finishing this yummy dish - I had violent stomach cramps, nausea and I knew something was wrong - very soon the entire dish was in the toilet through projective vomiting -((.

never again mushrooms

Tagged:

1 - 6 of 6 Replies

• littledTransplant Patient

This is great information. I don’t usually eat mushrooms but I will be careful for sure.

August 12, 2021
  • SigEpSinfonian98Transplant Patient

That makes me sad because I love mushrooms!

August 13, 2021
  • DebTransplant Patient

Oh wow!! I’m sorry that happened to you but thankful for the information.

August 13, 2021
  • ChefAmandaTransplant Patient

Oh no! I hope you feel better soon. I understand the temptations to have a cheat meal of “no no foods” but it always ends bad. I have my own horror stories.

August 13, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

You can tell where I’m from - I was thinking a whole different kind of mushrooms 😂

i haven’t reacted to mushrooms since my transplant, but then again I only eat them cooked and we only have boring kinds here. Maybe that makes a difference?

I have different foods that do this to me for various reasons. I tend to not look at them as “bad foods” but try to think ok, this makes me sick. If I eat it X will happen. Sometimes I say no. And sometimes I’ll just indulge and suffer the consequences later. Either way, no shame. We’re all just doing our best

August 13, 2021
  • bhameisterTransplant Patient

I didn't know that as transplant patients we can't eat mushrooms (wild). I have eaten them a few times, but we have been rinsing them very very good (even before transplant) since I hate the extra grit. I don't eat them too often and a lot at the time. We cook them and have them with venison steak or with pasta.

Thank you for the information. I will keep that in mind.

August 13, 2021