Liver — TransplantLyfe

Liver

Did anybody develop characteristics of their donor post transplant?

AliEm14Expert
Transplant Patient
August 17, 2021 in Liver

It's something I've been thinking about, sitting in the middle of my anniversary. I know it happens, usually more frequently with organs like the heart, but I'm an energy science, mystical kind of person and I can't wrap my head around this idea of organs not carrying imprints of their former body. The things i like to eat now, diagnosis' i've gathered since my transplant, the way my liver enzymes seem to respond to certain seasons or events, I've just always been curious if i was always this was and never knew it because i was so sick or if these are things i've developed from my donor.

For me remembering my donor and keeping them with me is an important thing. Almost like remembering where i came from. Anybody else? Either things you've adopted from your donor (or think you did) or ways you keep them close to you?

1 - 11 of 11 Replies

• ChefAmandaTransplant Patient

I think I adopted my love for cooking from my donor. Before my transplant I never stepped foot in the kitchen. I was all about sports and becoming an physical therapist. After my transplant all of a sudden I wanted to bake and cook all day. I ended going to culinary school instead of the university I was accepted to.

August 19, 2021
  • MarkliveTransplant Patient

Pre Tx I didn’t like spicy foods. Post? I love spice!

and I am far more emotional now than I was pre.

(incidentally, my donor was a woman)

August 20, 2021
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

Similar question to @ChefAmanda on hypertension etc? I do believe that certain organs that have been affected by obesity and hypertension for example will be less viable for the recipient but I do not think the organ will give you hypertension or obesity …

August 23, 2021
  • ChefAmandaTransplant Patient

@Karin Yes, I never heard of an organ giving someone obesity or hypertension. Now getting that from the medication post transplant is possible but I don’t think from the donor.

August 24, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

@Marklive thats one of my things too! I LOVE spicy food now where I hated it before

August 25, 2021
  • LarryFTransplant Patient

I myself 7 years post heart transplant don't believe you will get any characteristics from your donor. I believe all changes in food taste and craving come from the effects of the meds I take. I used to make and love wine and all the tastes in it but now if I have a once in the blue moon glass of wine none of the flavors come through only sweet and sour. All foods taste muted know.

October 3, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

@LarryF sometimes I wonder how much is meds and how much is donor. I’ve heard stories of people developing donor characteristics, but it’s so hard to tell what’s what with so many things going on.

one thing I used to love but now can’t stand is peanut butter. Which I feel like is an odd one

October 4, 2021
  • LivCare Partner

Peanut butter is hard to take for anyone and w the many drugs you take it probably just doesn’t work!!

October 9, 2021
  • DawnaTransplant Patient

No absolutely not. This is fantasy thinking. I’ve had three transplants so I’m pretty sure that I never developed characteristics of my donors

October 16, 2021
  • MarkliveTransplant Patient

Why do people feeled compelled to commenting? Everyone is different. The unique experiences of an individual should not be discounted by others as “fantasy thinking”.

that is just hurtful.

perhaps time for a sensitivity transplant?

October 16, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

@Dawna just because you’ve never experienced this doesn’t mean nobody else has.

as a reminder we are here to share our stories and respect one another’s experiences.

this is for everyone - be kind and respectful and “If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all” (advice from my favorite thumper).

October 16, 2021