General — TransplantLyfe

General

Prolia (denosumab) Injection

A_RayTransplant Patient
August 31, 2021 in General

I have a mild case of osteoporosis and to treat it, my PCP prescribed a Prolia injection for it. I read the literature from the manufacturer and thought, "OK". I should have listened to my gut and searched outside of the manufacturer info. Anyway I had fatigue ( a listed common side effect), but after two weeks it was still around and I was feeling rotten. After my routine labs, my T-plant Dr. called and my enzymes and bilirubin were elevated. After a round of tests, the Dr. and I talked and I pointed out that I had a Prolia injection - that was the only thing that was different. This stuff sticks around in your system for six months and in my opinion, it is dangerous. Google it and check the information out that is NOT the manufacturers "sunshine" bullshit. This is potentially a dangerous drug for anyone and especially immune compromised persons. Before you take this drug, be sure to confront your doctor with all of the info and have a long talk with him/her. In fact, the whole class of the newer osteoporosis drugs are potentially dangerous.

1 - 4 of 4 Replies

• KarenTransplant Patient

So sorry you are having such problems with it. I have been on it for 1 1/2 years, so 3 infusions. Luckily I have had no side affects and my bone density has increased. My transplant Dr prescribed it after failing a trial of Fosamax.

August 31, 2021
  • PoisonRose21Transplant Patient

I will possibly be having this discussion with the doctors. I know the literature they sent me home with said we have to be careful about the injections we get and even the different annual vaccines. So before I get any medications outside of my Nephrologists, I'm checking with them first before getting anything!

August 31, 2021
  • A_RayTransplant Patient

Glad it's working for you. Keep an eye out for any symptoms...one of the weird side effects is necrosis of the jaw bone...I can't imagine how painful that must be.

August 31, 2021
  • A_RayTransplant Patient
    August 31, 2021