Kidney — TransplantLyfe

Kidney

Do you know your surgeon?

KarinExpert
Transplant Patient
October 19, 2021 in Kidney

Do you stay in touch with your transplant surgeon???

I do, although I have more contact with my nephrologist at this time.

The surgeons have a more intense role around the actual procedure, but they are often savvy scientists too, so try to speak to them as well!

Tagged:

1 - 8 of 8 Replies

• AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

My surgeon is amazing. I keep tabs on him, with the amazing clinical trials and research he's doing. Mostly I deal with my hepatologists now and also some of the fellows that were on my surgical team - all amazing surgeons who are also working on and publishing groundbreaking research.

October 19, 2021
  • bhameisterTransplant Patient

I haven't kept in contact with my transplant surgeon or even seen him at the hospital. This Thursday is my second in person appointment (I have had all virtual) with my doctor and coordinator (which is really weird to say), but I am really wanting to ask if he is free/around to say hello. Since transplant, I have listened to his podcast and read his book.

October 19, 2021
  • ChefAmandaTransplant Patient

I didn’t keep in touch with my transplant surgeon but I do keep tabs on all the amazing stuff he is doing.

October 26, 2021
  • GeraldWaymanTransplant Patient

7 years ago I had a kidney transplant. I had a cousin pass away unexpectedly and his family allowed me to receive one of his kidneys. When I was in the operating room and they were prepping me for the surgery I could see a cooler sitting on the counter when the surgeon came to me and asked if I had any questions I asked her if the kidney was in that cooler. She said yes. I asked her if I could see it. She was surprised and asked why I would want to see it. I told her how many people can say they've seen their own kidney. She was not humored and told the anesthesiologist to put me out.

6 years later I was receiving another transplant from my daughter. I had the same surgeon and again asked her if there was any way I can see the kidney. She remembered me and was again disgusted I would even ask.

February 14, 2022
  • Sdey0522Expert
    Transplant Patient

Both my Surgeons at UMMC (Baltimore) were #amazing & #brilliant. I'm in contact with them.

So #grateful !

1. Dr. Si Pham (@Mayo now)

2. Dr. Bartlett Griffith *

* the same Dr. Griffith who recently transplanted a genetically altered pig's heart into a living human recipient transplanted my ❤ too.

February 14, 2022
  • StephenCFTransplant Patient

I know my surgeon and I used to cycle on weekends with my lung transplant pulmonologist. Suffice to say, he was much faster than me those first few years.

February 16, 2022
  • ShelbycreatesTransplant Patient

I don't. I saw him briefly after the surgery but was quickly moved onto the main nephrology team after that. Would have loved to have spent more time with him though! My current nephrologist at the University of Michigan is mostly doing research, but keeps on a few patients that he follows. I hope he'll let me stay on his service forever!

March 9, 2022
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

Fabulous Pics @Sdey0522 !!!

March 11, 2022