Care Partner — TransplantLyfe

Care Partner

Holidays

Piney1147Care Partner
October 22, 2021 in Care Partner

The holidays are approaching and it's also FLU season and we can't forget Covid is still active. How do you as a caregiver address celebrating for the holiday and satisfy family obligations along with taking care of you transplant patient and yourself?

Secondly, what are some past ideas of celebration you have done with your transplant patient to ensure they have a chance to celebrate the holiday too?

For us, we are luck so we don't have a lot of family living close by. We haven't traveled home in over 20 years for the holidays and we keep our celebration to immediate family only. We create a family Holiday card that we send to all our family and friends.

We decorate together for the holidays. We make a big deal about decorating the house in doors and out doors and we do it together. We plan on a theme and shop for the items and enjoy the process of dressing up our home.

What happens in your world during the holidays?

Sonia

1 - 5 of 5 Replies

• AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I love this! This is my first Christmas where I’ll be home and I’m really excited. I’m a big holiday person, even if it’s not big gatherings. Give me a holiday movie, all out decor and seasonal outfits and I’m a happy girl.

last Christmas my parents took my dog on a drive through lights show and FaceTimed me so I got to see the lights and watch my dog experience it. That was so special.

October 24, 2021
  • ChefAmandaTransplant Patient

I love driving around the neighborhood and looking at all the lights. Great idea.

October 24, 2021
  • brookegurradExpert
    Transplant Patient

We do a jammie night with our kids and make hot cocoa before driving through the lights.

We started catering our Christmas dinner so no one is in the kitchen all day and we can be together.

of course, lots of naps, movies, and snuggles

October 26, 2021
  • Howanitz39Transplant Patient

This is my first big holiday after my transplant and I know I am not a caretaker but my mom is and I live with my parents and I am so freaked out about it . Because five of my family members will not get the flu shot and two of them will not get the covid shot either and my mom will not tell my sister that her family needs to get the flu shot. This is for Thanksgiving. For Christmas eve we will be having 26 people over and I do not know who will have gotten eather shots. When I say something to my mom about this bothering me she said that we are not going to live in a bubble and that I need to stop being afraid all the time. And that my transplant team is just trying to scare me. I have no idea what to do. I have my shots.

October 29, 2021
  • Piney1147Care Partner

Hi. My suggestion would be to wear a mask. As a transplant patient prior to Covid, a mask is suggested for at least one year. If there is any doubt that someone is not vaccinated, we wear a mask. It's best to be safe. Happy Holidays.

November 10, 2021