Kidney — TransplantLyfe

Kidney

Alcohol intake

NainaTransplant Patient
October 22, 2021 in Kidney

I was going through Google when I read that Alcohol if taken in moderation is good for body after transplant and doesn’t have any direct harm to kidneys.

i wanted to ask if anybody has taken it after transplant or has any knowledge about it.

or edibles for recreational?

Tagged:

1 - 6 of 6 Other Answers

• AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I’m not kidney so maybe others can speak better to this. But I use CBD (my team said THC had to be equal or less than CBD) and have had a drink every once in a while. Every person is different so check with your medical team. And moderation is key.

I also found I don’t really miss alcohol (I get dealcoholized wine since I do like the taste) and I never really liked getting high so CBD with no THC is perfect anyway.

October 24, 2021
  • brookegurradExpert
    Transplant Patient

My team said no alcohol and no marijuana. I’m liver, not kidney, but that seems to be their recommendation for all transplants.

October 26, 2021
  • ChefAmandaTransplant Patient

I’m currently awaiting a kidney but I have met a couple kidney patients who have drank alcohol post transplant. They only do on special occasions and have no issues.

October 26, 2021
  • Cecil74Transplant Patient

I will have a few beers in moderation or special occasions. But definitely dont do it every day. Hopefully this helps.

October 27, 2021
  • hazzlerTransplant Patient

I have a kidney transplant and way back when I received my kidney (1989) I was told I could drink in moderation. I can’t drink beer as I am subject to gout attacks if I do and it is not worth it. I will occasionally have wine but not on a regular basis. My function has declined (now in stage 3 failure) and I learned the hard way when young that hangovers from mixing alcohol and kidney failure is a bad idea…lol. But drinking a lot (everyday) would be too much for anyone and honestly, I can’t imagine jeopardizing such a wonderful gift!

November 3, 2021
  • JusnealTransplant Patient

Alcohol itself is a solvent and has zero benefit to our body. When looking at the health benefits that exist because of alcohol --it is all secondary. The sugar can help balance your blood sugar, it can make you more social which helps with depression, it can come in the form of wine which has benefits to your heart (just not the alcohol), and it can make you urinate more (which water also does this) to help clear possible stones. The bottom line is still the same--any benefit that you can get from alcohol is greatly outweighed by the costs and damage it can do. https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/alcohol/art-20044551

November 12, 2021