Liver — TransplantLyfe

Liver

Preparing for transplant.

KristeTransplant Patient
November 9, 2021 in Liver

Do you have any ideas or suggestions on things to prepare for for after transplant.. Like I know I need to have someone take care of my kitties and things like that but I feel like I am not prepared.. anything helps!

1 - 4 of 4 Other Answers

• ChefAmandaTransplant Patient

I would have lots of comfortable pj’s and leisure wear, have someone to help prepare your meals and some books, movie or low key activities while you rest and recover.

November 10, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I had to think about this question. Obviously there’s the basics like making sure your house and pets are taken care of and comfy clothes (buy men’s XL sweats and tees. They are looser and don’t hurt as much, especially if you have swelling). Heat packs will be your best friend.

I spent a lot of time pre-transplant working on my mental and emotional state, which I felt helped a ton. Breathing, affirmations, anxiety coping techniques, working through my feelings, working with coaches and therapists. That was huge for me, and a large part of why I became a certified coach. I think transplant is just as mental/emotional as it is physical

November 10, 2021
  • DebTransplant Patient

Definitely lots of comfortable clothing and Pjs! Make sure there is someone to drive you to your follow up appointments and do your cooking snd shopping for you. Have someone to stay with you a week or so , if you live alone, so you can get lots of rest. Good luck on your transplant journey!!

February 3, 2022
  • StephenCFTransplant Patient

starts during your time waiting on list. prepare for worst, hope for best. like @AliEm14 said - mental preparation is just as important as ensuring your body is physically ready. we're all different in how we go about this, but for me it was going out a lot with my friends & enjoying their company. it was talking to a therapist and reaching out to other transplant patients. it was not being afraid to take sleep aids so that i could actually sleep.

afterwards and provided everything is going smoothly, just being comfortable and in an environment that is conducive to healing. i read a lot to sort of transport myself from the moment and was quick to say 'no' to things i felt could imperil recovery. also giving yourself a break, and recognizing that there might be bad days and that's ok. not all bad days are equal.

biggest thing too is recognizing how big an accomplishment it is; that you're finally recovering from the surgery you've been building up to the last few years.

February 3, 2022