General — TransplantLyfe

General

Pre-transplant emotions

KristeTransplant Patient
November 14, 2021 in General

I'm just wondering if anyone else has been on an emotional rollercoaster since finding out surgery date?

I'm excited one moment, the next I'm crying.. Its driving me nuts lol

Tagged:

1 - 6 of 6 Replies

• SigEpSinfonian98Transplant Patient

So I just got my transplant two weeks ago and I got my date like a month prior. I was excited, nervous, scared, apprehensive, and all over the place. Try to focus on the end goal, and keep in mind that you will have a different but really exciting journey ahead of you post transplant. Don't be afraid to talk through your feelings and emotions because you are going to have lots of them. And celebrate the start of something special. Congrats!!

November 14, 2021
  • Sdey0522Expert
    Transplant Patient

Emotional roller coaster rides & transplantation are completely linked! 👍😊

Wishing you best of luck as you continue to navigate through your #transplantjourney. 🙏

November 14, 2021
  • kmednick123Transplant Patient

I had my heart transplant six months ago. It’s normal to be on an emotional roller coaster. Especially right before transplant. And after transplant you will be on large amounts of prednisone. It’s normal to have mood swings as well as increase appetite. I craved sweets and never ate any before. I am a health nut. But just know when you hit the 6 months mark after transplant you will be feeling great, emotionally and physically. The prednisone meds will be tampered way down. At six month after transplant I am feeling and doing amazing. Stay positive and be strong. Kerry

November 14, 2021
  • DebTransplant Patient

Kriste, best of luck to you on your transplant. My whole journey was an emotional roller coaster but it does get better. I only had 6 hours to prepare for my transplant and 3 of those hours were spent traveling to my hospital. I don’t how I would have handled advance notice. You will get better and feel better so stay positive and as I tell my students… you’ve got this!!

November 14, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

Definitely. Part of it I don't think really hit me until I arrived at the hospital. I had my date almost a month pre transplant (and then 3 days between my first and second donor but i was sedated for all that) and while I kind of knew what was coming it also was an imagined scenario until I was actually there.

Your imagination isn't the real thing. Whatever you think will happen doesn't mean it will. I spent a lot of time pre-transplant doing mindset coaching, meditation, trying to stay in the moment, really working on managing my anxiety. And i feel that really helped.

November 15, 2021
  • ChefAmandaTransplant Patient

As a post heart transplant patient I can’t imagine knowing far in advance. I would be a basket case. I found out 4 hours before my transplant that I was getting my heart. I cried for most of those hours. Haha

November 16, 2021