Pancreas — TransplantLyfe

Pancreas

Pain in stomach - what is it???

KarinExpert
Transplant Patient
November 21, 2021 in Pancreas

I have had a knife cutting pain in my lower right abdomen for the past few months and no one can tell me what it is due.. frustrating to say the least / the pain is over baring and even wakes me up / prevents me from sleeping. Anyone w a kidney and pancreas who has had or is having something similar??

1 - 13 of 13 Replies

• Howanitz39Transplant Patient

I had very bad pain in my stomach while I was staying in a hotel on the campus where I had my transplant. It was on the left side so I thought I was having a rejection of my new kidney I also have a new pancreas. When I went to the hospital I was in so much pain. The er said I had a cyst on my ovary so was put on a antibiotic and was admitted for a couple of days and did not have anymore bad pain. I do know that sense I had my transplants 11 months ago I have pain in my stomach if I do not get up to go to the bathroom right away for both 1 and 2but it does go away after I go. I also sometimes will have pain like I had my jp tubing taken out. I do know when I was diagnosed with diabetes I would be in such pain I would stop whatever I was doing and double over. I'm not sure if this helps or not but good luck. Rachael 💚

December 12, 2021
  • SecondChanceTransplant Patient

Hi Karin. I was told when you get pain over and around a transplanted area It very well could be rejection. We’re you able to find out what it was yet?

December 26, 2021
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

No rejection and nothing urgent ring w the pancreas thank god - beginning to think it is IBS??

December 28, 2021
  • Saveddonna55Transplant Patient

Karin, so glad not a rejection problem. I imagine you have had a CT to rule out some stuff. Good luck.

March 20, 2022
  • Care_massTransplant Patient

Is pancreatitis a possibility? I had sharp pains in the same area (where my pancreas graft was located) and that was it. The pain for me went from 0-10 in less than an hour, which I'm told is unusually quick, and I was admitted to hospital on a fasting diet with pain and gravol IV until it passed.

April 4, 2022
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

Not pancreatitis - thinking it could be a cyst or intestinal

April 5, 2022
  • michele1969Transplant Patient

Is having problems with your pancreas a thing when you have a liver tx?

April 5, 2022
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

Liver Tx doesn’t necessarily address or cause issues w the pancreas

April 5, 2022
  • TServoldTransplant Patient

Just the past few days I have started to experience some pain on my right side, near my rib cage. Its feels a lot like nerve pain to me, but I would be lying if I didn't say it causes me so much anxiety. My teams wants me to pay close attention to it. I have had lots of labs and they all look great, so they are not concerned about the pancreas, possibly the gallbladder (man, maybe we should have just removed that), possibly just nerve pain after surgery. I am reassured that its not constant pain, and there is not rhyme or reason to it. It doesn't follow eating, or drinking. Doesn't coincide with lack of water. Blood sugar is always within range. @Karin Did you ever find resolution or reason for your pain?

May 17, 2023
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

My first thought was liver, but that might just be my liver transplant brain thinking. When they connected all my nerves and attachments and everything during surgery, I do have a few spots where I'll notice nerve like pain just because of how everything attached and whatever my body is doing at the moment has decided to aggravate that connection point. My first reaction is always to go get labs, but if they are all fine I'm finding myself switching to that mental place of my body is reacting to this but I'm not in danger, I know how to take care of myself and I can sit in this uncomfortable feeling.

May 17, 2023
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

@TServold in my case they believe it is so-called abdominal wall pain that may have been caused by the surgery - a small hernia or tear… now, four weeks after my third transplant (kidney number 2- see separate post and my blog on the education tab), the pain is gone!!

May 18, 2023
  • TServoldTransplant Patient

I have been offline for too long, apparently!! I had no idea you were getting ready for transplant #2. Whoa!! I read all your blogs. What an incredible story. Thank you for taking the time to document and share it with us. Going through it is hard, documenting it all is hard, and then reliving it while writing about it is hard. Thank you doing that for all of us, and you for you. You have an incredible support system.

May 19, 2023
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

Thank you @TServold

May 21, 2023