General — TransplantLyfe

General

On trusting my instincts

AliEm14Expert
Transplant Patient
December 29, 2021 in General

I started writing morning pages (If you don't know what I'm talking about, look up the Artist's way by Julia Cameron). And I turned my thoughts from the last few mornings into a blog post (You can find it here: www.alishaemerald.com/blog/f1mw1z0qnd79btdx6w6p7cyaz2nh0e)

I've been on a journey of reclaiming my instincts, slowly unraveling the medical system. It's a scary thing to be deconstructing the system that your survival literally depends upon. It's a bold thing to say I am so insanely grateful for all our advancements in medical technology, and I've been hurt in crazy ways by the system and think a lot of their foundations had to do with the oppression and control of people.

I've been working with a transplant natropath and different alternative healers, and I feel like I'm discovering a whole new world. One where I don't have to hand my power over to doctors and medical interventions and tests. One where I can stay informed and in a position of power. Maybe it's just a mind shift for me, but I feel like my instincts led me into the system and getting a transplant and being so immersed in the medical model for so long, and now my instincts are leading me in a different direction. And holding both things, and letting both things be true.

1 - 2 of 2 Replies

• ShowtimeTransplant Patient

I believe that one should always be their own advocate if possible. Too many people trust the medical system without asking questions. People need to do their research and understand their situation and options. Not all doctors are created equal and why not be in the care of the best instead of the average. Having said that, I believe that I positioned myself for the best care I could find for my TP and have since been called a success story by my TP center. Not everyone has a great outcome. Glad that you found alternative medicine a benefit for you.

December 29, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I 100% agree. I love my transplant team, and definitely believe i put myself in the best position in their care. I also advocate for myself and do not just blindly follow whatever any doctor says. I'm building my care plan based on what works for me, which is a combination of both western and alternative medicine styles

December 29, 2021