Kidney — TransplantLyfe

Kidney

Willow Pill

AliEm14Expert
Transplant Patient
January 10, 2022 in Kidney

I'm a huge fan of RuPaul's drag race, and I just watched the season 14 premiere. One of the queens this season lives with chronic kidney disease, and is a transplant recipient. She was talking about how a lot of her performance art is drawn from her experiences with chronic illness.

It made me feel so seen, to see someone in this position, in the spotlight, openly talking about their illness and how it has influenced their art. The more people we have talking about their transplant and health experiences, and bridging it with main stream culture, I feel like it's bringing it out of the shadows that much more. We can talk about health issues. We can talk about how they influence our art and our work and our lives, and it doesn't have to be a dark, depressing thing.

Tagged:

1 - 2 of 2 Replies

• brookegurradExpert
    Transplant Patient

I love hearing stories like this! People in the entertainment industry have a platform that we don't and can reach people that we could never influence.

Thanks for sharing this @AliEm14

January 14, 2022
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

So true @AliEm14 - I talk about health everywhere and with everyone- to me the most interesting topic of all!

January 15, 2022