Heart — TransplantLyfe

Heart

Pig heart surgery video

AliEm14Transplant Patient
January 12, 2022 in Heart

here’s a video about the pig heart surgery I found on Instagram. I was talking to a friend this morning about this, about the craziness of scientific breakthroughs that we can actually do this. And then of course those who oppose. Because it’s a pig, and essentially it’s getting into the ethical territory of raising a living being for their parts to be harvested.

i struggle with this one. The idea of raising an animal specifically for transplant is a tough one to swallow

what are your thoughts?

1 - 6 of 6 Replies

• JimGleason_TRIOTransplant Patient

It certainly sounds better than raising an animal to butcher and cook for eating, which everyone accepts, this at least saves a life.

Is this much different than using pig valves in failing hearts which we've been doing many years now. I for one, accept it as scientific success and as for the second question which you did not ask, "Would I accept a pig's heart if that was my only hope for possibly staying alive, as this patient (out 28 years with a transplanted heart) just did, "Yes, I would!"

How about you (addressing this to readers of this great thread), given those circumstances (no hope except for receiving a pig's heart), what would you choose?

I attended a dinner panel of patients and heart surgeons/medical staff (led by heart transplant surgeon and heart transplant recipient, the well-known, Dr. Robert Montgomery) a couple of years back discussing the question, "What would it take for you (a dying heart patient) to accept a xenotransplant (the heart of a gene-altered bovine - they frown using the term 'pig' in such discussions)?" You can imagine that was a very interesting discussion over dinner with that audience. One key factor I can recall from that event, was that patients felt the advice of their transplant surgeon (a most trusted person) would play a major role in their making that decision.

January 13, 2022
  • AliEm14Transplant Patient

@JimGleason_TRIO i like that perspective. I personally would struggle with it a bit. Especially taking into consideration if memories of the donor come out in an animal organ!

if it was my only hope, I’d probably do it, but I would probably become vegan after

January 13, 2022
  • Could they not raise the animal for both? Would they not be able to use the heart for transplant and then the meat for consumption? I feel like this would be the best option and that way very little of the animal goes to waste, this would be the approach I feel most comfortable with.

January 13, 2022

While there is no research supporting the concept of cellular memory (carrying over traits/memories) in organ transplants (and I have done extensive reading of claims to the contrary and still believe there is no transfer of memories) I doubt that concern to be supported by facts - but I respect anyone who has the concern. I laughed at your vegan comment - thanks for the laugh.

January 13, 2022
  • AliEm14Transplant Patient

@JimGleason_TRIO yes, I’ve done the research too. I had really strange memories post transplant I believe are probably from my donor. And while it isn’t scientifically proven I do believe it does happen. I’ll have to do more research on xeno transplants - right now the idea still freaks me out a little

January 14, 2022

I've heard several similar stories that only make sense if there is a cellular memory fact. I can share some of those documents with you if you are interested. Reach out via e-mail (GleasonJim@aol.com) if you want to discuss more or read what I've collected.

January 14, 2022