Heart — TransplantLyfe

Heart

Pig heart surgery video

AliEm14Expert
Transplant Patient
January 12, 2022 in Heart

here’s a video about the pig heart surgery I found on Instagram. I was talking to a friend this morning about this, about the craziness of scientific breakthroughs that we can actually do this. And then of course those who oppose. Because it’s a pig, and essentially it’s getting into the ethical territory of raising a living being for their parts to be harvested.

i struggle with this one. The idea of raising an animal specifically for transplant is a tough one to swallow

what are your thoughts?

1 - 5 of 5 Replies

• AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

@JimGleason_TRIO i like that perspective. I personally would struggle with it a bit. Especially taking into consideration if memories of the donor come out in an animal organ!

if it was my only hope, I’d probably do it, but I would probably become vegan after

January 13, 2022
  • Could they not raise the animal for both? Would they not be able to use the heart for transplant and then the meat for consumption? I feel like this would be the best option and that way very little of the animal goes to waste, this would be the approach I feel most comfortable with.

January 13, 2022
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

@JimGleason_TRIO yes, I’ve done the research too. I had really strange memories post transplant I believe are probably from my donor. And while it isn’t scientifically proven I do believe it does happen. I’ll have to do more research on xeno transplants - right now the idea still freaks me out a little

January 14, 2022
  • Sdey0522Expert
    Transplant Patient

Wonderful breakthrough & it's a result of fantastic innovation and ongoing research.

Btw: Interesting fact: the main surgeon who transplanted the 🐖 ❤ into the 57 year old man at UMMC, Baltimore was also instrumental in saving my life with a heart tx in April 2015 . #blessed #giftoflife #xenotransplantation #transplantstong #transplantjourney

Also, sharing a story from over 25 years ago.

➡️

January 28, 2022