General — TransplantLyfe

General

SLOW DOWN

brookegurradExpert
Transplant Patient
January 17, 2022 in General

SLOW

I’m an Enneagram 3, so at my core, everything I do is rooted in my desire to be outstanding. I’m driven to achieve & to accomplish. Even more exciting is to make systems work more efficiently and to help make life easier through automation.

Our brains do this automatically. We create routines for the day-to-day things we do repetitively. Those repeated patterns are those moments where we operate on autopilot. Driving home without thinking about it. Unloading the dishwasher and putting away dishes. Typing the password on your phone or laptop.

When we do or think things over and over, we create neural pathways that are deep and strong. But, like anything in life, what started out as good can become neutral or even damaging as we try to create new paths to growth and innovate new ideas.

We must break out of our old habits, the ones spending time in those deep brain grooves, and create new pathways. I think this is one of the hardest things to do on our path to growth. To learn that what once served us may not be the best thing now.

The biggest lesson I've learned since my liver transplant is the need to SLOW DOWN. Because of my go-getter personality, all I knew was to go fast, pedal to the floor, and then crash when I was utterly exhausted. I didn't know there was a cruise control option that would keep me steady. I knew there were brakes, but I didn't think I needed them. And then I found Park, and things started to make sense.

I used the cruise control to help me maintain a steady pace that didn't run me ragged. When I felt like I needed rest, I no longer had to crash and burn for days. Instead, I used the brakes to slow down gradually, and then I put my life in park.

It takes time to learn a new way out of autopilot and back into growth and productivity. I can attest that it's worth it.

If you need help getting over the hump, I start coaching in March! DM me for more info.

Tagged:

1 - 2 of 2 Replies

• Free2ride19Care Partner

Hi Enneagram ..

January 18, 2022
  • ShelbycreatesTransplant Patient

I resonate with this soooooo much!! I'm an enneagram 2 with a wing 3 (is that how you say it??) People used to joke I could squish 30 hours worth of stuff into 24. Sometimes I miss that old me, because of how much I've had to slow down. And sometimes I'm glad because I'm a whole lot calmer now too. It was quite the identity crisis learning to slow down, I'll tell you. Who am I if I can't do everything??😉

March 11, 2022