Liver — TransplantLyfe

Liver

What is something you wish you had known before transplant?

meghansmithTransplant Patient
Updated November 14, 2020 in Liver

Looking back on your transplant experience, is there anything you would have liked to know beforehand?

1 - 7 of 7 Replies

• KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

I wish I had known more people w transplants before so it had been a little less scary to take this step and not know the results or even the spectrum of results

November 21, 2020
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I wish I'd had more connections in terms of supporting me after transplant, and knowing that the need for support doesn't end when you get discharged from the hospital. Knowing other transplant patients would have helped a lot. I also didn't feel like i knew what to expect medically or how much pain i would be in

November 22, 2020
  • meghansmithTransplant Patient

@Karin and @AliEm14 - I completely agree with you! I would have loved to have a network of other transplant patients to support me and help answer questions. I definitely did not expect my recovery to be as much of a process as it was, I expected to feel "normal" much sooner.

November 22, 2020
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

I wonder if there is a way to model scenarios in a non frightening way? If I had known about the nausea I would have, I would have learned some tips earlier. There is also the sense of being so very different when you have another persons organ - I still can’t fathom it fully!

November 22, 2020
  • KevRTransplant Patient

This may sound unusual but yes, without a doubt, transplants are an incredible gift but on a patient level, it’s not an easy thing whatsoever to go through. Some people do really well but others like me, struggle physically and mentally for many months. It’s a lot tougher than I could have ever imagined.

March 25, 2024
  • MelsammTransplant Patient

KevR You r not alone it just takes time, surround yourself with positive people, people who have not had a TP will not understand what you are going thru so you are in good place and look for the webinars that are available to. I am on my next journey just recently being dx with cancer after my 3.5 LTP gift.

March 25, 2024
  • KevRTransplant Patient

@Melsamm, when I read about the new part of your journey, it was an “eye opener” for me. Now knowing what you’ve been through and now this journey. I love your approach. I’m not as strong as you but I am working on it.

March 25, 2024