General — TransplantLyfe

General

Nervous system activation

AliEm14Expert
Transplant Patient
February 17, 2022 in General

Anybody else feel a little overwhelmed yesterday? I had one of those chaotic days where my website crashed, someone wanted to discuss politics, and I received so many pieces of new information. if your personality type is anything like mine can sometimes lead to information overload or a high charge situation very quickly

on days when I know I’m going to receive a lot of information or have things that cause me stress (like a lab day) I try to balance it with an activity that regulates my nervous system.

one of my current favourites is brushing my teeth. It sounds crazy but it works. Brushing, flossing, reading books out loud or singing, the main objective is to relax your jaw. Allowing your jaw to release signals to the rest of your body to release as well. Disney songs are my favourites to sing to, add in a dance party and I get added benefits!

what are your favourite ways to relax your nervous system? What charges you and what have you found works to decrease that charge?

1 - 2 of 2 Replies

• ShelbycreatesTransplant Patient

I love this idea of brushing teeth to help calm yourself! I carry so much tension in my jaw too.

For me, I’ve really enjoyed doing EFT (emotional freedom technique) tapping. It helps me get into my body, tell the truth about what’s causing the uncomfortable emotions, and allows me to release them. I’ve got an app for it on my phone.

I also like to remind myself that I am safe by using mindfulness techniques-focusing on what my 5 senses are taking in and slowing my breath down.

Thanks for a great topic.

February 17, 2022
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

Yes! I've just started EFT, though I'm not as consistent as I'd like to be. How do you find it helps? I'd love to hear your take and any resources you've found that have been helpful

February 17, 2022