Kidney — TransplantLyfe

Kidney

Thriving with Kidney Disease

ShelbycreatesTransplant Patient
March 4, 2022 in Kidney

Hi Friends. I had an opportunity to talk to some amazing young adults with nephrotic syndrome, so I created a podcast with the 10 tips I shared with them about thriving with kidney disease. Feel free to take a listen.

Here are a few of my tips:

1. Know your numbers, but don’t obsess. I’m not going to tell you not to Google things, because it can help you be more informed, but be aware of when you’re doing it and you’re going to it and it’s feeding your anxiety. 
  2. Advocate for yourself. Don’t be afraid to hire a new doctor or get a second opinion.
  3. Find people you can share the hard things with. You don’t need to open up to everyone, but you need to find some people that you can. This can include a therapist or coach, but you need people in your life that can support you emotionally too. Teach people how to support you. People don’t know what you need, especially if you don't know what you need. 

Any others you would add?

Here's a link to the podcast episode

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/20-thriving-with-kidney-disease/id1528449244?i=1000552466969

1 - 3 of 3 Replies

• AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I love these tips! I second all of these!

for me knowledge diminishes fear. When I know what’s going on in my own body, it’s not unknown so it’s less scary. I do have to remember my own body is different than anyone else’s

knowing I’m in charge of my medical team has also been huge for me. My team works for me. I don’t adjust to fit them. It’s so important, especially when we have so much contact with our teams, to actually like them and trust them.

March 4, 2022
  • ChefAmandaTransplant Patient

These are some great tips and I loved the episode!

It helped me to find other people with kidney disease to get advice and ask questions about their struggles.

March 8, 2022
  • ShelbycreatesTransplant Patient

So glad you enjoyed it. I think you hit the nail on the head with that. When I was first diagnosed, I had a lady at church who had a kidney transplant when she was even younger than me. I didn't know her very well, but I got to know her better after my diagnosis! It was so helpful seeing someone else who had been through what I was going through, especially at such a young age.

March 9, 2022