Heart — TransplantLyfe

Heart

Xenotransplant death

AliEm14Expert
Transplant Patient
March 9, 2022 in Heart

I heard the news this morning that the man who recieved the pig heart transplant has died. I don't believe they've released yet how he died, and whether it was directly related to his transplant or not.

My heart breaks for this man's family. While he made milestones in xenotransplantation, no doubt his death will have an effect on the future of xenotransplantation, and I just hope he's remembered for his great sacrifice in the name of science, and that we don't brush past his death in the name of making modifications and adjustments to these kinds of transplants for the next patient.

1 - 9 of 9 Replies

• ChefAmandaTransplant Patient

Yes, thank you for sharing this sad news. Condolences to his family. I think you and Jim brought up important points when it comes to Xenotransplantation.

March 10, 2022
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

This man was already dying and that was the reason he was given the pig transplant - however the duration he survived with it was impressive and gives hope for the future!

March 11, 2022
  • Sdey0522Expert
    Transplant Patient

Sad news indeed. 😥 Sincere condolences to the family of this Braveheart. 🙏 May his soul R.I.P. 💐🕯

The successful surgery and the fact that he survived for 9 weeks post-transplant is incredibly impressive!

This surgery provided valuable insights about genetically modified pig hearts that can function well within the human body, with an adequately suppressed immune system.

Now there's immense #hope to improve outcomes and potentially provide life-saving benefits to patients in the future.

#grateful to everyone who was involved to make this feat a reality - especially to late Mr. Bennett.

March 14, 2022
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

@Sdey0522 yes! It just hit me that could have easily been any one of us. It’s amazing what he did and how long he survived. When we talk about xeno transplants in years to come I hope we mention his name ❤️

March 14, 2022
  • Saveddonna55Transplant Patient

I didn’t know xenotransplantation was the name for the surgery this man had. If I were this person, I would have tried this surgery but it is sad that it came to this. We do need much more donors…so many people need them.

March 20, 2022
  • Sdey0522Expert
    Transplant Patient

@Saveddonna55 - In my opinion, of course it's very sad that this Braveheart couldn't/didn't survive longer. 😔

However, his contribution to humanity has been amazing, and it will always be remembered.

Yes, it will absolutely help if the #OrganDonor pool is larger. However, as you may be aware, less than 3% or so of deceased donors actually end up donating solid organs (because so many things have to 'line-up' before the organ(s) become a #giftoflife for someone).

Accordingly, what's truly needed are more organs - #xenotransplantation and other advancements / innovations will (hopefully) make that a reality in the near future, and many more lives will be saved.🤞

#hearttransplant

♻️ #giftoflife ✅

💙 #donatelife 💚

March 22, 2022
  • Saveddonna55Transplant Patient

Sydey0522. I so much agree with you. The need for donors is so unbelievable. I wonder if the pandemic has caused less transplants.

March 22, 2022