Kidney — TransplantLyfe

Kidney

How to Calculate eGFR?

ebalsamTransplant Patient
March 15, 2022 in Kidney

Hi Everyone - I cannot figure out how to calculate my eGFR. Would someone please let me know, in layman's terms, how to do this? Many thanks!

Ellen

1 - 2 of 2 Other Answers

• Howanitz39Transplant Patient

Hi Ellen I am not really sure how to do it but I have been a transplant recipient of both a kidney and pancreas. On my lab report it tells me how to do it but I still do not understand what you do but I do know that your egfr is base on your age gender and race. What I do is just check my lab report and see if my egfr is 60 or greater that it is good and my transplant team will also tell me and also with me if I do not drink enough water before my labs my egfr will drop so my team will tell me to drink at least 6 to 7 bottles of water for three days and then redo my labs the water causes my Gfr up to a great number my Gfr will change monthly but it has only drop low one time. I also talk to my transplant nurses and tell them that I do not understand what something is and please talk to me like you would if I was your daughter, . Good luck

March 18, 2022
  • Saveddonna55Transplant Patient

eGFR or GFR (Estimated Glomerular Filtration rate) is in my lab study when I have a creatinine level done and I assume it would be at most labs. This tells us how well our kidneys are working. Mine is 33 now and it can vary. Mine will never get back to the normal range due to my stage 3 kidney disease. Water does help. This gives the doctor and ourselves an indication of what stage we are currently at and if changes need to be made. I believe if you look up on the internet how to calculate the eGFR or GFR you may find it. Hope this helps.

March 20, 2022