General — TransplantLyfe

General

More about pills…

KarinExpert
Transplant Patient
April 2, 2022 in General

Does anyone use pill pack? I hate dispensing my many drugs in a pill box once a week - there must be a better way???

Tagged:

1 - 19 of 19 Replies

• Porsche1990Transplant Patient

Why don't you call Pill Pac or Rapid Pak and have them tell you who in your area has that service. Or have your pharmacy place them in Blister packs like they would use for nursing homes. There is a charge for any of the compliance packaging.

April 2, 2022
  • Tsutton2015Transplant Patient

Ahoy Karin, hate is a strong word. That negativity, will definitely affect how your medicine works.

I have found that using smaller pill bottles and putting a single dose into it helps.

I also, set alarms on my phone to keep me on schedule.

I hope this helps your distaste for your medical needs.

Cheers,

Terry

April 2, 2022
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

@Tsutton2015 i have no distaste for medical needs - in fact I embrace medical innovation and scientific discovery! I trained as an Md /PhD and my life is about solving medical problems. I just hate dispensing my pills. Similar to hating to wash dishes and now I have a dishwasher ))

April 3, 2022
  • Saveddonna55Transplant Patient

Even though It’s not my favorite thing to do, It takes me 20-25 minutes to fill my pill box for 2 weeks. To have Pill Pac or someone else fill them, I feel like I would be losing control. When I first had my transplant, I was so weak but my husband and I did it together. It’s an unbelievable task at first.

April 3, 2022
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

@Saveddonna55 great point re control! You have a two week pillbox? Where did you get that??

April 3, 2022

Karin, I am able to fill my pill box (morn, noon, dinner, bedtime). I’m blessed to take meds only twice a day so I split the pill box up. The 1st week has morn and noon, draw a black line on the ridge dividing the pill slots from dinner and bedtime so I’m careful when filling it. The 2nd week is in the dinner and bedtime slots. It works for me and it helps cause I’ve been doing it a while. If I took pills 3x per day I would consider another pill box. I’ll try to send a picture but I’m on my 2nd week so it may not be clear.

Unable to load the picture of the inside. I will try after I send this.

April 4, 2022
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

So smart!! I am going to try pillpack by Amazon first and then this.

anyone else using pillpack by Amazon for transplant drugs? Is it cheaper?

April 4, 2022

Kim, I’m going to look up pill pack on Amazon. I haven’t seen it.

April 4, 2022
  • DediazabreuTransplant Patient

You mean like this one have you try in amazon i think you can get it there these one its from the pharmacy where i get my medication

April 4, 2022
  • StephenCFTransplant Patient

i don't use anything anymore. occasionally i'll use a pill organizer for longer trips but when at home its just each bottle for itself in my nightstand.

April 4, 2022
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I do individual baggies, refill every 2 weeks. I also am only taking pills once a day though, which helps. I like the baggies because it's easier to take with me if I'm on the go. I use the smallest size of the stasher reusable bags

April 4, 2022
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I love that imagery. What are we going to do with the life between the pills?

April 4, 2022
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

Love that picture @JimGleason_TRIO !! I seriously question sleeping many times since there is so much I want to do w my life that has been given back to me!

April 5, 2022
  • Tsutton2015Transplant Patient

THANK YOU Karin! for dedicating your life to Medical Needs and the endless hours you have put into your medical training. You are a true HERO as all of our Medical Professionals are including medical staff. We need you!

We also need Alternative, Complimentary & Integrative Healing Practitioners. Not just for people with disease BUT, our CAREGIVERS!

If we can give our Caregivers an hour of relaxing, take-me-away time! That is a beautiful GIFT! We can accomplish this with various Healing Modalities and if we can give education about easy to do sustainable ways to Heal our body, easy to prepare Nutritious Food, and help in finding a Caregiver support group, Hopefully our Caregivers can find more time for themselves to heal.

That is what I am trying to build with Ocean Dreams Cancer Healing Center.

Cheers & Thank you again for your countless hours of education and dedication!

Terry Sutton

April 7, 2022
  • Sdey0522Expert
    Transplant Patient

No more pill boxes any longer. I've self-graduated to hitting the med bottles straight - twice daily. 😊

However, I did use (& relied heavily on) the pBoxes regularly for several years.

Of course, I wouldn't recommend this method to 'fresh' transplantees.

Btw: How many total 💊s per day & how many differrent/unique meds do you take daily?

April 7, 2022
  • DebTransplant Patient

Sdey0522. I continue to use my pill box I just forget sometimes so it keeps me on track. I’m 2 years post transplant and I’m only taking tacrolimus , 2 in am and 2 in pm. Plus I take entecavir every other day because my donor had Hep B so I now carry it but it’s under control. I take a baby aspirin. I’m lucky my liver is doing well and so am I. What do you take?

April 7, 2022
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

@Sdey0522 i would not be able to hit the boxes directly even after 12/13 years respectively!

I take pills twice daily and use 11 different kinds of pills…of those, three I take two of once a day!

April 7, 2022
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

@Sdey0522 i only take tacrolimus once a day, so it’s super easy for me to take it straight from the packaging. Our tacrolimus here is packaged so well (wrappers in wrappers in wrappers) so it’s easier to sort it all out in advance. But on our trip I just brought the boxes and took straight from there and that worked great

April 7, 2022