Liver — TransplantLyfe

Liver

love YOUR transplant

AliEm14Expert
Transplant Patient
April 11, 2022 in Liver

I came across this instagram post this morning. Erika is a cancer patient, our experiences within the medical system are vastly different. And yet when she said you have to love YOUR cancer, that hit me.

I was having a discussion with my husband recently about transplant, and how vastly different my experiences are from my friends, even the ones who have had liver transplants. No two transplants are the same. And I can learn about transplant as a whole (which I do, a lot) and I can learn from others about their transplant experiences (which I do, a lot) but at the end of the day it's me, and my transplant. And if I don't learn how to love and accept and be with my transplant, what's the point?

I've also been thinking about my experience as a whole, and if I'm not willing or able to embrace every aspect of it, am I also limiting myself? If I don't feel the full extent of pain, doesn't that also mean I don't feel the full extent of joy? If I'm not willing to embrace every possibility of illness, does that also mean I'm not willing to embrace every possibility of wellness? I don't have the answers yet. But it's another thing that keeps coming up when I think about learning to love, and live, with MY transplant.

1 - 5 of 5 Replies

• KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

Too theoretical and linear in your thinking my deer @AliEm14 :). I think we need to embrace and hate and live and dismiss over time and at the same time - it won’t happen all at once or in sequence. I believe in the confluence of factors and try to allow for feelings to evolve as we experience life.

most important is to stay focus on what you can control and not let anything external mess with your attitude (easier said than done)!

April 13, 2022
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

@Karin oh absolutely! I feel all the feelings, all the time! Anyone who knows me knows that. I’m a huge advocate for being with the messy, hard parts of ourselves. That’s what I was trying to convey here. Full grief, full joy, full pain, full love, full life. And also to realize my journey is my own, and not anyone else’s

April 13, 2022
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

Love that @AliEm14 - we are on the same page - ups and downs and the rollercoaster rides are what make my life worth living too

April 13, 2022
  • KristeTransplant Patient

Thank you for sharing this! I needed to read it, I have been struggling with life post transplant, like I can no longer do either of the things I am qualified to do for a living, or not meeting the expectations of people around me, I need to embrace it more and welcome the chance at a new start!

April 13, 2022
  • AnnMarieCare Partner

This can be applied in life so much too, thank you for starting this conversation

April 13, 2022