Kidney/Pancreas — TransplantLyfe

Kidney/Pancreas

Do you know many people w transplants?

KarinExpert
Transplant Patient
November 22, 2020 in Kidney/Pancreas

I did not know one person before my kidney but before my pancreas I already knew three amazing individuals who all helped me in different ways!

1 - 13 of 13 Replies

• AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I knew of one transplant patient before my transplant. She received a heart when she was a baby. After my transplant I was desperate to find other people who had experienced the same thing I had, so I turned to the internet. I found there was shockingly little results for transplant patient support. I connected with Megan over instagram, and she was my first friend who'd also had a transplant

November 22, 2020
  • meghansmithTransplant Patient

@AliEm14 I've loved getting to know you, Alicia! It's so nice to connect with people with similar experiences!

November 22, 2020
  • meghansmithTransplant Patient

Before my transplant, I only knew one other transplant recipient - my brother! While it was great to have him as a resource, our transplant journeys and recoveries were actually quite different. I have been able to connect with some transplant patients on Instagram post-transplant, and it's nice to be able to talk to people who have had similar experiences. I can't wait to meet more people through this network!

November 22, 2020
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

So amazing how the internet has helped and is helping so many!

November 22, 2020
  • TServoldTransplant Patient

This forum is my first interaction with any transplant recipients! When I met with the transplant team for my initial consultation they said "You probably know at least one transplant person..." if I do, I don't know it! The internet is such an amazing tool. I am so glad to have found this forum though an article published on Diabetes Strong.

January 26, 2021
  • brandonmTransplant Patient

I also did not know anyone who had a transplant before I was told I would require one. I’ve now found other people who have gone through similar things. Pretty cool!

January 27, 2021
  • ChefAmandaTransplant Patient

I only knew one person pre-transplant. It would be at least a year post transplant before I would meet many of the friends I still have today.

January 28, 2021
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient
  • brandonmTransplant Patient

Yes, @Karin. Instagram and Lyfebulb opened a new world of connections. Amazing how that can happen! :)

January 28, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I found so many connections through instagram. While social media can be annoying at times, I'm so grateful it provided me that opportunity. I used to stay up at night going through all the transplant related hashtags I could think of trying to find people. And I'm so grateful transplantlyfe came out not too long after I got my transplant, and I was able to find so many more connections here!

January 29, 2021
  • mikemTransplant Patient

I didn't know anyone before my first

February 1, 2021
  • Care_massTransplant Patient

I didn't know anyone before my transplant, so finding a community was so important to my journey.

February 22, 2021