General — TransplantLyfe

General

Employment post transplant

KristeTransplant Patient
April 25, 2022 in General

Hello, I am wondering if anyone else has had any difficulty finding employment after transplant. I am 5 months out and am really struggling with finding a job I can do. Between my memory being shot and the new tremors in my hands I am really struggling to find a job I can actually do. I was a dental assistant so with the tremors it's not a possibility.

Tagged:

1 - 10 of 10 Replies

• AILazarusTransplant Patient

I went on an interview with a company I had previously worked. there was a two year gap in my resume. He asked what I had been doing. I said I had a liver transplant. He said…no seriously what have you been doing.

April 25, 2022

Yes. I got the job. It was post 7 months and stayed there 7 months then went in for hernia surgery and just retired early. I continue to work part time in a totally different field

April 25, 2022
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I was a yoga teacher and worked in childcare prior to transplant. I probably wouldn't have gone back in the same way post transplant even without the physical barriers (very hard to practice yoga in the same way when you're recovering from major surgery. My balance was absolutely gone for a while.) I was really lucky in finding jobs that allowed me to work from home, and building my career that way. I took almost 9 months off completely though, and didn't work. I was able to do that through my husband making enough for us, and employment insurance. I don't know if I would have felt ready for anything any sooner

April 25, 2022
  • diliver21Transplant Patient

I am also 5 months post Liver Transplant. I felt great and was anxious to go back to work then I started having issues. Hair loss, fatigue, and bad hand tremors . I feel good in morning then I take my meds and I am down for the day . It very frustrating. I understand your pain.

April 25, 2022

FYI... for all those reading. I'm 12 1/2 years post now.

April 25, 2022
  • DebTransplant Patient

I’m 2 years post transplant and I think age at the time of the transplant and how long we were sick prior to transplant. I was sick for 3 years the last year was rough with so many hospital trips, appointment we all know it wears the body down. I was 60 at the time of my transplant. I’m still making progress and some days really tired but I’m thankful to be able to do what I can do now!! I feel a much better than before and am able to care for my husband and my mother. I love hearing success stories. Keep up the good work everybody!! Love and Peace!!

April 25, 2022
  • Saveddonna55Transplant Patient

Kirstie, it is still early in your transplant and maybe your transplant team will be make some changes. I never regained the strength I once had. I eventually went on Medicare disability and could work some. There was not a problem getting it. Sometimes people are able to stop the Medicare disability. My guess is you sincerely want to get back to work so hang in there and express your concerns to the doc on your transplant team. Good luck to you.

April 25, 2022
  • GmamaTransplant Patient

I was put on disability 2 years before my transplant. I loved my job and it was very difficult for me to accept my not being able to work. I was 50 and never could go back. I’m 71 now. Thankful for my donor and my life!

April 26, 2022
  • StephenCFTransplant Patient

I didn't jump back into work after transplant, instead went back to school. Regardless, it was only 6 months post transplant. Looking back, I probably would have waited another few months. The first year is crucial for long term survivability and going to class without a wearing a mask is a bit risky considering the ease of cold/flu spread during the beginning of terms. To be sure, I did contract flu twice during college and each time resulted in hospitalization, but thankfully no permanent damage to lungs.

April 26, 2022