General — TransplantLyfe

General

What's been the hardest part for you post transplant?

ShelbycreatesTransplant Patient
April 27, 2022 in General

I think that one of my hardest things was feeling young and alone. I was the only young mom I knew who had a kidney transplant. I knew one other woman who had a kidney transplant when she was about my age and she's my mom's age. It was nice to see her and that she had lived a good life and was continuing to do so.

I'm grateful for the internet and finding instagram and facebook pages where there were more people with kidney disease. Now I'm glad to have this community!

What was the hardest thing for you?

1 - 1 of 1 Replies

• AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

The hardest part for me was definitely feeling alone immediately post transplant. I was 23, knew no other transplant recipients even close to my age. I had a super complex surgery, a month in the hospital and 2 transplants back to back and the hardest thing was not feeling supported. That goes to show how much we need mental and emotional supports!

even now I think young adult (under 45 range) transplant patients are a small group, and despite being over the year mark and living life as a healthy individual now, I still crave that support from others in a similar life phase as me.

April 28, 2022