Liver — TransplantLyfe

Liver

Exercising

meghansmithTransplant Patient
Updated May 28, 2021 in Liver

What type of exercising do you like to do post-transplant? Are you working out at home, or do you feel comfortable going to a gym or classes? How often are you getting exercise? How do you stay motivated? Consistently exercising is something I've struggled with post-transplant, particularly during the pandemic.

Tagged:

1 - 3 of 3 Replies

• KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

I did a lot of walking in the beginning - every day, several always times daily - I was religious about it and increased the dose over time - I started in the hospital already! Then I got braver and joined exhale spa and did core fusion followed by kick boxing at punch fitness in nyc - loved it!! This past summer I got back to tennis / my favorite as a child but I tore both my meniscus so had to slow down... now I mostly run w my daughter and that keeps me pretty busy! Sit-ups and push-ups daily though :-)

November 23, 2020
  • meghansmithTransplant Patient

@Karin Way to go! Walking is so great- I started in the hospital as well, but have slowed down on the outdoor walks during Covid since I live in the city and it is hard to socially distance. I belonged to Bar Method prior to transplant and have started taking virtual classes, which I hope will help strengthen my core!

November 23, 2020
  • AnnMarieCare Partner

While I did not have a transplant- I had cancer and I live with MS. Plus I was a personal trainer! ANY movement is good. We often think of exercise as a treadmill or HIIT class. You can do a lot from your seat. Even walking to the mailbox is good for you while you recover! Always talk to your doctor first.

November 23, 2020