General — TransplantLyfe

General

Transplant Games of America

AILazarusTransplant Patient
May 4, 2022 in General

Anybody going to San Diego end of July to partake?

1 - 22 of 22 Replies

• brookegurradTransplant Patient

I'll be there!! Are you competing or observing?

May 4, 2022
  • JimGleason_TRIOTransplant Patient

Having attended ten games in the past, I sadly just reversed our registration to attend due to risk of air travel without masks in that closed cabin for a coast to coast flight. Also, in checking with five others who always attend, all five have decided not to attend for that reason and the very expensive venue there in San Diego. For my wife and I that cost was about $4,000! Then there is the concern that there will be only a small attendance overall or last minute risk of reverting to being a virtual event due to that low attendance. I so hope it will be a successful return to those exciting Games, but can't afford to bet on that risk.

May 4, 2022
  • brookegurradTransplant Patient

@JimGleason_TRIO that totally makes sense! We are on the West Coast, so we're looking to road trip down. San Diego is so expensive!

As always, we all have to make the best decisions for our own health.

Thanks for sharing this perspective!

May 4, 2022
  • AILazarusTransplant Patient

Im going as a member of Team Liberty NJ NY CT

my first was Houston 2014

and have gone ever since

Yes SD is expensive but I'm flying to LA first to see family so...

May 4, 2022

I guess I'm kind of gun shy too from the last two big events I had purchased air tickets for (when masks were still mandated, so not as risky as now without masking) that got converted to only virtual when registrations fell short of expectations. From the first one, when converted to virtual I could only get airline ticket ($900 worth) credits that would expire too soon. Then the second one, also converted to virtual one week before the event, had to accept more cashless credits that with those previous credits now became $1500 credit that will expire before we can use them (by June 15th!). I checked with 5 local regular Games attendees and all 5 are backing out this year to avoid the airline maskless risk and that expensive event with unknown level of attendance.

May 4, 2022
  • DebTransplant Patient

What are Transplant Games??

May 5, 2022

The Transplant Games of America (TGA) are Olympic style competitions held on even-numbered years in the US (odd number years are for the World Transplant Games held all around the world, next in Australia in 2023) for transplant recipients to raise awareness of the need for organ donation by showing the success of organ transplantation. This year they are being held July 29 through Aug 3rd in San Diego, CA. Find out more at https://www.transplantgamesofamerica.org/

May 5, 2022

Too bad you can’t sell your credits, or can you?

May 5, 2022

I’m competing

volleyball

basketball

table tennis

cornhole

May 5, 2022
  • DebTransplant Patient

Thank you JimGleason_Trio

I had no idea they existed , thats really cool. I will follow them.

May 5, 2022

Thanks for that great idea, but no, they aren't transferable. But what I am thinking is that I could buy a ticket that is refundable with those credits and then cancel later and get a cash refund (thus replacing those credits with actual cash). I have to find out if that would work and will share the results here.

May 5, 2022

For more personal insights about the Games, please enjoy chapter 27 of my FREE online book that recounts my experiences as the 'non-athlete' competing in swimming, badminton, and ping-pong, even winning medals (probably for not drowning, many years ago) dating back to our first participation in 1996 with a new heart (Oct 19, 1994). Over the years (attended 10 Games) I even was a volunteer PRESS PASS reporter interviewing athletes and families resulting in articles for Tranweb.

Link to the 55 page Transplant Games chapter: https://www.rjwitte.com/changeofheart/GiftFromTheHeart/Section2/chp-27-US-GAMES.pdf

The full book, A GIFT FROM THE HEART, is available online at https://www.rjwitte.com/changeofheart/GiftFromTheHeart/

May 5, 2022
  • DonnyCTransplant Patient

Like Al, my 1st TGA was 2014 Houston and I've done every TGA/WTG since. Planning on going to San Diego. Not thrilled about the 'masks optional' decision, but I've been on several long international flights since November (including this week) so my comfortability in managing that risk may be a bit higher than others. Definitely a pricier trip this year. I started purchasing separate travel insurance last year to handle the potential COVID-cancellation/rescheduling issues. It works out best for me to go with a yearly plan that includes sports coverage and cancel for any reason coverage.

May 6, 2022
  • Sdey0522Transplant Patient

The Translant Games in NJ would've been my first! Sadly, the COVID beast put an end to that! 😔

I'm in Maryland, so getting to San Diego will be too expensive (& I'm unwilling to take on the risks associated with travel at this time). I definately do want to attend at least 1 WTG & 1 TGA 👍

That said, Registration is still open until June 6, 2022!

May 9, 2022

Travel agent explained that in buying the new ticket with those credits, they have to note the purchase is being done with credits, so a future trip cancellation would only result in getting those credits back, not a cash refund. I tried that great idea, but it wouldn't work.

May 9, 2022
  • ShelbycreatesTransplant Patient

Not this year, but I'm hoping the next one!!

May 11, 2022
  • StephenCFTransplant Patient

Was planning on the cycling portion but lost some fitness earlier this year and not mentally ready for the long travel aspect either. Definitely will be doing the next one. Need to get back in race form!

May 11, 2022
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

I would love to consider attending / is it too late now??

May 12, 2022

I don’t think it’s too late? Are you already associated with a team?

May 12, 2022

wait… you are in Westport???

Team Liberty 🗽

my team NY NJ CT

goteamliberty.org

May 12, 2022
  • DonnyCTransplant Patient

June 6 is registration deadline so plenty of time to register. It's always been a great event!

May 12, 2022

I’m registered and ready to rock in SD

May 12, 2022