Kidney — TransplantLyfe

Kidney

Hospital Bag

Widgert1Transplant Patient
May 14, 2022 in Kidney

What is essential for your hospital bag?

Tagged:

1 - 6 of 6 Replies

• Howanitz39Transplant Patient

For my bag I brought my iPad and comfy clothes even though I did not get dress until I got out of the hospital. I had to be by my transplant hospital from January 27th till March 5 so I stayed in a hotel I really did not leve the hotel only to go to dr appointments and if my parents went out to the store I went just to get out but I stayed in the car. I made sure to have my phone charger and iPad charger I made sure to have my hair brush and toothbrush at the hospital they did give me a bag with a toothbrush and toothpaste and comb and shampoo and shower gel. Bring hand sanitizer, bring masks I brought cloth masks but after I left the hospital they went to wearing paper masks. Make sure you have your ID and all of your health insurance cards bring your meds. Good luck with your journey.

May 16, 2022
  • Widgert1Transplant Patient

Thank you

May 16, 2022
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I keep an emergency toiletry bag at all times with extra toothbrush, toothpaste, mouth wash, lotion, hair elastics, earplugs, underwear and socks... in case of emergencies (the first time I packed it, I ended up having to go to the ER and have a non-planned hospital stay that night. My husband thinks I thought it into existence by packing my emergency bag that day).

If I have more time to pack I'm bringing comfy clothes (I purposefully bought sweats a few sizes too big), slippers, laptop, phone and chargers, hand sanitizer, a little bit of makeup and/or hair products, some essential oils, books, an eye mask. One of the recent things I've added, on recommendation from my therapist, is playdough, or something to keep my hands busy as it helps with my anxiety.

May 16, 2022
  • Sdey0522Expert
    Transplant Patient

@Widgert1 - when you get the call, first thing is: don't panic.

As far as the 'go-bag', keep it simple. Carry minimal essentials like your tooth brush (if you're fussy, hospitals have new ones in stock) + a phone charger + ALL your meds & maybe a change of clothes. The rest can be brought to you by your caregiver/family/friends, as/when needed - over the subsequent days, post Transplant.

Keep in mind, if the transplant is going to happen - all you will initially need is a hospital gown, which will be provided.

Best of luck! 🍀 🙏

May 16, 2022
  • Widgert1Transplant Patient

So many great suggestions, I appreciate the thoughts.

May 17, 2022
  • StephenCFTransplant Patient

before my transplant i was in the hospital 3-5 times a year, ranging from 2-4 weeks a time. suffice to say i always had a bag ready, full of toiletries and comfortable clothes. the first time i didn't take a bag was for my transplant, and it was by choice.

May 17, 2022