Liver — TransplantLyfe

Liver

Working post-transplant

meghansmithTransplant Patient
November 22, 2020 in Liver

Did you return to work post-transplant? How long was it until you went back? Are you currently working during the pandemic and if so, are you working from home or are going into the workplace?

I was very naive pre-transplant and thought I would be returning to work by 6 weeks post-transplant. I was even hopeful that I'd be able to go on an international work trip to London 10 weeks post-transplant (LOL). I ended up returning to work at 11 weeks post-transplant, but after my first day I realized I needed to ease back into it with half-days. I only did 2 weeks of half-days in the office before the office shut down due to COVID. I then slowly increased my half-days over the next month before officially returning to full-time working from home. I'm still working from home and will continue to do so indefinitely.

Tagged:

1 - 5 of 5 Replies

• KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

I went back 4 weeks post kidney and 8 weeks post pancreas - the latter required another hospitalization due to an abscess so it took real time to come back again. I was weak though - both times and lost around ten pounds each time - hard to nourish myself w the nausea and the fatigue!

November 23, 2020
  • bhameisterTransplant Patient

I went back to work 8 weeks post liver transplant. I was initially at my parents house in Minnesota under their care until I returned to my apartment in Wisconsin. I returned to Wisconsin while my company (less than 100 employees--between shop and office) had sent about half of the employees in the office to work from home, so I went and picked up all my items at work and brought every thing to my apartment. I am currently still working from home and probably will be for quite some time (or until this gets under control). I am lucky and grateful that my employer allows me to work from home and also says your health comes first.

December 2, 2020
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

How was the work experience when getting back as someone on immune suppressants? Did you feel susceptible? Afraid? @mikem and @lescp3 how do you feel about being the friend, colleague of someone w a transplant - does it make you stay home more when you have a slight cold??

December 2, 2020
  • meghansmithTransplant Patient

For me, I went back with a very large bottle of hand sanitizer and a mask (pre-covid!) It was february, so still flu season, and I was definitely paranoid about catching something and getting sick. I also sent a friendly "I'm back" message to everyone in the office, basically saying that while I was excited to be back and see everyone and catch up, that I was on multiple immunosuppressants and needed to be cautious, so I politely asked if they could keep space between us, no hugs, etc.

December 3, 2020
  • mikemTransplant Patient

This was a weird experience for me because each time the protocol seemed to be different as to being around people, etc. I actually chose to barely alert anyone. I guess I was super self-conscious about it, and didn't want like the rest of the team knowing. So some folks knew, but others didn't. Weird I guess.

Also, when I was a kid, they kept us out of school for 4-6 months post!

December 3, 2020