General — TransplantLyfe

General

Alberta Transplant Institute Mental Health Sessions

AliEm14Expert
Transplant Patient
June 8, 2022 in General

Just wanted to let you all know about this awesome event coming up. It's hosted by the Alberta Transplant Institute in Canada, and the panel discussion featuring patients and their families focuses on mental health supports during the transplantation process.

Registration link:

https://survey.ca1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_5b8pLbhXsuAAQTA

1 - 7 of 7 Replies

• AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient
    June 8, 2022
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I just attended this and I wanted to share how POWERFUL it was. Mental health as patients and caregivers isn't talked about or dealt with in the way it should be. One of the panelists was going over things like routine blood draws, and seeing other things while in the hospital, and how all of these things are traumatic and add to the larger trauma of transplantation that is never addressed. It's often a turn off emotion to deal with reality kind of situation.

One of the panelists, who is a kidney recipient, said "it was my coping mechanism to romanticize transplant life" and that really hit home for me. Transplant is beautiful and it's a second chance at life and happy endings. This is what we all focus on. But the reality of transplant life is it's messy and traumatic and hard. It's one of the areas that I, as a patient and an advocate, am really passionate about.

June 21, 2022
  • AnnMarieCare Partner

Thank you for attending and representing our TL community! This actually was super helpful and very helpful to learn more.

June 22, 2022
  • HummingbirdCare Partner

If we missed this discussion was it recorded so we can listen at a later time?

June 22, 2022
  • Sdey0522Expert
    Transplant Patient

@AliEm14 - please do share the link of the recording, if/when it's available.

Thank you!

Ps: It's great that you attended!

June 23, 2022
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I’m not sure if the mental health discussion will be posted since it was part of their research days (think conference style, but virtual) but they do have weekly webinars on some really great topics and all recordings are on the Alberta Transplant Institute YouTube page

June 23, 2022
  • Sdey0522Expert
    Transplant Patient

Cool, thanks @AliEm14

June 23, 2022