Kidney/Pancreas — TransplantLyfe

Kidney/Pancreas

How did you tell your boss about your upcoming procedure?

KarinExpert
Transplant Patient
Updated November 23, 2020 in Kidney/Pancreas

I was so scared before I told my boss - at the time I was at JNJ and my boss was a great man but tough! I thought he would Look down on me - as a failed t1d and someone who never would “make it”. Instead I took it well and ordered for me to be out for month and to not have any emails coming to me during that time / important recovery time and stress is to be avoided! The response in general at JNJ was fantastic / I have never received so many flower bouquets and I had not been at the company fir more than 1 year!

1 - 5 of 5 Other Answers

• meghansmithTransplant Patient

I was also very nervous to tell my boss - it was in December and we were sponsoring a big conference in Las Vegas in January that I was organizing and supposed to attend to set up our booth, etc. Luckily she was extremely understanding and helped coordinate the handover, and went to the conference in my place. Both she, HR and the president of our territory were also very understanding when my recovery period lasted longer than I had anticipated pre-transplant (I thought I would be out for about 6 weeks, but ended up being out for about 9 weeks) as well as allowed me to ease back into work with half days for the first month. They also were extremely accommodating about working from home once COVID-19 cases made their way to the US.

November 23, 2020
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

My work was not understanding. At the time i was listed for transplant, i told my then boss i was on the list and could have to leave at a moment's notice. she was very understanding, as she herself had dealt with health issues and surgeries where she needed to be out for an extended period of time. between being listed and when i got transplanted, the boss at my company changed. This new boss wasn't nearly as understanding. She tried to find ways to get me fired without actually firing me. not once during the entire time since i had my initial surgery did she or anyone from my company send me a note, flowers, card, email... safe to say i won't be returning to that company when i do decide to go back to work

November 25, 2020
  • meghansmithTransplant Patient

@AliEm14 Wow! That is so frustrating! Being fired via some sort of loophole was a big fear of mine while recovering - my work didn't give me any reason to feel that way, it was more of a personal anxiety I put on myself because I felt like I was letting my team down. I cannot imagine a boss making you feel this way - I am so sorry! I don't blame you for not wanting to return, and hope you find a more welcoming workplace when you are ready!

November 25, 2020
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

@AliEm14 Wow that is terrible - no one should be fired or threatened to be fired due to a health issue!

November 28, 2020
  • Saveddonna55Transplant Patient

I agree that no one should be fired, however, the company may need to replace one due to circumstances and the person may be put in a different position. I loved my job and when I got home I wanted to go back to work and I tried and realized I couldn’t work much because of my fatigue. I was sad. I didn’t have a career-type job and wasn’t the main support so it made it easier for me not to worry about the money coming in. Best wishes everyone.

March 24, 2022