General β€” TransplantLyfe

General

If you had one last wish - what would it be??

KarinExpert
Transplant Patient
June 27, 2022 in General

Beyond wishing for my life to go on, painless and wonderfully, I would wish for a world where women and men are more equal in their rights and importantly in their view of one another. Less stereotyping and less crass comments about "hysterical women" and "macho men". More working together and leveraging biological differences to our mutual advantages and less pressure on boys to be strong and support, and less guilt for women to be perfect...

Tagged:

1 - 23 of 23 Other Answers

• TServoldTransplant Patient

I love your wish! I have so many, it is so hard to choose. Different days may bring different answers....

Today, I would wish that mental health wasn't a stigma, and just a common practice. Care providers were plentiful, access to mental healthcare was easily accessible, and using it was just as normal as visiting the ER if you were experiencing something like chest pain.

January 26, 2023
  • Those are great wishes!

Everyone has struggles and trials in life. Divorce, heartache, loneliness, health issues, etc. I would wish for everyone to have a person. That could be 1, 10, 100 in their court. So they didn't feel alone in their struggles, trials, heartaches. Wouldn't it be great if we all had that 1 person who was always there for us? A costant?

January 26, 2023
  • Sdey0522Expert
    Transplant Patient

Wonderful thought, @authenticallyapril πŸ‘

February 1, 2023
  • MelsammTransplant Patient

That was a wonderful wish, it would be so perfect for all of us to have someone like that❀️😊

February 1, 2023
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

I had not read that answer until now @authenticallyapril - how do we make that happen? Can we start a chain? A campaign like the ice bucket but for transplant and with the goal to state “I sign up to support one transplant recipient?” Maybe also support a family member or donor? @lescp3 @AnnMarie @AliEm14

February 2, 2023
  • AnnMarieCare Partner

This is such a beautiful message to share and a fabulous way to connect others!! Let’s do this!!

February 2, 2023
  • ShelbycreatesTransplant Patient

When I read this post title, I knew my thing. If I could get my wish, it would be to end racism. It manifests so much in the medical system, but if we could end it altogether, what a powerful world we would live in!!

I was diagnosed and put on the kidney transplant list with a GFR of 19. The cut-off for being listed is to be under 20. If the color of my skin was different, my GFR would have been calculated differently and I would not have qualified for the list and probably still would not have had a kidney transplant.

This is disgraceful and it needs to change.

February 2, 2023
  • @Karin lets do it!

I was the first in a while of people in Colorado who donated adult to child live transplant. The next family that was in the "same" situation I was able to contact. We talked, we met, I gave them cute little gifts (I made liver giver, I love my liver giver, donate life shirts) and goodies that were essential for the transplant journey. It helped knowing so much we weren't alone.

I should probably talk to our center here to see if we could do something similar for families. But I think it would be great to have in the transplant lyfe community too.

February 6, 2023
  • @Shelbycreates I'm still so frustrated by the differences in medical care. They do need to improve those medical differences, and quickly.

February 6, 2023

Yes they do.. my wish right now is that ever Transplant patient should get their immunosuppressive meds at a decent or no cost. We all need these meds. to stay a live. I am disgusted with ins/government.

sorry I am venting a little.πŸ’š

February 6, 2023
  • Ain't that the truth @Melsamm . I would love to find a way to make that happen too.

I've had family members say before that if they were in charge of insurance companies they wouldn't cover our son because he would cost them too much money. We seriously care more about making a profit then creating a beautiful life for someone?!

February 6, 2023
  • HRB52Transplant Patient

My wish would be to meet the donor’s family. I know it could be opening Pandora’s box, but I would like to offer whatever I have to help those that chose to give me a another chance. It had to be hard at their darkest hour, something I can’t ever possibly image having to go through.

Melsamm, I am sorry you have to go through this, my transplant hospital has paid my co-pay since the operation. They have a specialty pharmacy that delivers my immunosuppressant meds to me monthly. I’m on Medicare with a supplemental. My transplant was in Texas.

February 6, 2023

Hi HRB52. Did u have your TP when u were on Medicare also what type of TP did u have.

I have been in communication with my donor family and it has been wonderful. I am so very grateful to them.πŸ’šπŸ’š

February 6, 2023

AuthenticlyApril, yes it’s all about the money. It just makes me sick and there is no where to get help. Where I live u have to be below poverty to get any help. Very sad.

February 6, 2023

That's ridiculous that someone would even say that to you. They're basically invalidating the life of your child. What?!!! Good thing that person isn't in charge!

February 7, 2023
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I've been thinking about this for so long. Everyone else has such great answers, and I kept feeling like I had to have a really epic last wish, like changing the face of medicine or eliminating world hunger or something. And I don't.

If I had one last wish, it would be to do exactly what I'm doing now. I want to be really alive while I'm alive. I want to live a life so full of joy. And it feels almost selfish, but then I remember the quote that you may not be able to change the world, but you can change the world for one person and it's ok if that person is yourself. It's ok to just be, to not always be striving for something.

So yeah, there's a lot of things that I want that would be good wishes. And at the end of the day, my wish isn't for a longer life or to be remembered for something amazing or to change the world. It's to be changed, to be loved, to live a life marked by radical joy.

February 8, 2023

Beautifully said. I think that was a great last wish.πŸ˜ŠπŸ’šπŸ¦‹πŸŒΈπŸŒΌ

February 8, 2023

@AliEm14 I love that. That is so beautiful!!

February 8, 2023
  • HRB52Transplant Patient

Howdy Melsamm,

short answer - Yes, and I had a Kidney transplant.

long answer - I converted my Medicare to a United Healthcare Optum plan.

I had to wait a year before the hospital would forward a letter I wrote expressing my gratitude. They indicated the donor family had the option to meet me if they wanted, and I guess they didn’t want to. All I know about the donor is that they were on life support for at least a week as my hospital called me a week before my TP date to tell me they had a perfect match for me but there were two hospitals in front of mine. They called me 7 days later at 12:30 am and told me there were no other matches so if I could get to Houston by 3:00 am, the kidney would be mine ( I live about 100 miles north of Houston ). The rest is history.

February 9, 2023
  • Philipjones17Transplant Patient

My last wish would be for god to take care of my family especially my niece and godson

February 16, 2023

Hi HR52, That is why your immuno meds r covered. If you have your TP u have to have had it w/MC to get your meds covered. That is ridiculous I have not been able to get any help w/MC. seems so wrong that these meds r not covered by all Ins. the deductibles for Rx plans are high b/f they will help cover on top of it there is a monthly premium. Very disgusted!!!

I am so glad your story went so wellπŸ˜ŠπŸ’š keep it up.

February 16, 2023
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

@Philipjones17 when I had my Kidney I didn’t have a daughter but if I were to have a transplant now again I would wish for God or Someone I trusted to take care of my little girl. I understand your wish.

February 16, 2023

@Philipjones17 that is so beautiful πŸ’“πŸ’“ They are so lucky to have you

February 16, 2023