Liver — TransplantLyfe

Liver

Liver in a box

AliEm14Expert
Transplant Patient
July 6, 2022 in Liver

I'm a huge greys anatomy fan. And every time I see things like this, it makes me think of the heart in a box episode. I love the part where Dr. Yang is watching the heart in a box and it helps her figure out her "wish list." If the surgeries on her dream list aren't half as cool as heart in a box, they get crossed off.

"It's a miracle. You're standing before a miracle. And once you realize that, she'll change your perspective"

I refer to this sentiment often while living with transplant. When I realize I'm standing before a miracle, that actually the fact that a stranger's organ is inside my body and working is a miracle, it changes my perspective.

This article came across my feed this morning. It has a scientific name but all I could think of was liver in a box. An environment that mimics the human body, that an organ could be removed from the body and never even know it left, that it could still function absolutely fine for up to 10 days.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2022/06/03/liver-transplant-machine/

1 - 1 of 1 Replies

• Sdey0522Expert
    Transplant Patient

@AliEm14 , yes! Saw this article. #innovation & #advancement is the key!

Things have come a long long way, even though it's a long road ahead.

These days, it's possible to basically 'clean/flush/refurbish/rejuvenate' many organs before it's transplanted, in the hopes of the best possible outcomes down the road.

Ps. You ARE a #miracle. 👍 😊

July 11, 2022