Kidney/Pancreas — TransplantLyfe

Kidney/Pancreas

Care partners - how can we better help you help us?

KarinExpert
Transplant Patient
November 23, 2020 in Kidney/Pancreas

What would you say are things we could do better as patients? Wrt communication and behavior toward you?

Tagged:

1 - 9 of 9 Replies

• lescp3Care Partner

What are some things that a care partner can do that are REALLY helpful?? Is it picking up a meal and dropping it by (or too much risk that you cannot eat it and then you feel badly?) Or offering to go to the store and picking up any small thing that would help? When we say "what can we do to help you" can you please let us know??

November 24, 2020
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

The words “what can we do to help” are often said but not often taken up on if you see what I mean - I VERY rarely accept help from others beyond my family and very close friends. Even with them, I have difficulties specifying what it is I need help with and I much prefer people who know me very well to offer specifics or even just do things they know, based on their knowledge of me, would help me. So anything that truly stresses me out that may be more indirect is gladly accepted - could be administrative, could be picking up drugs, or things I would not get for myself - anything that makes me feel calmer - as simple as a candle, a cozy sweatshirt, etc etc. The food I can most often get delivered or ordered and since it is specific to what I want - the only other great gift is when my mother stayed with me and cooked fir me when I was recovering / the routine that established made me calmer...

November 25, 2020
  • lescp3Care Partner

Thank you that is super helpful. Great point that food can be hard but cozy treats are always good!!

November 25, 2020
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

@lescp3 Lots of good cozy treats available out there! You gave me a candle once - love that kind of treat! Much better than chocolates

November 28, 2020
  • meghansmithTransplant Patient

I second this! Appetites are hard to predict, but I always love a nice candle, cozy blanket, or good book to read.. a friend also gave me some adult coloring books + colored pencils which were great for both passing time + stress relief!

December 3, 2020
  • lescp3Care Partner

Mandala's - i love those for adult coloring time. It feels so therapeutic to me. GREAT idea

December 3, 2020
  • lescp3Care Partner

OK funny story here...I took your advice on the candle gift to give to someone close who is recovering from a surgery. As I left, I went to the coat closet to grab my jacket and what did I find there but a large stash of candles that had clearly been gifted to her before (and not used!) I guess they are not for everyone!!! LOL Thankfully I had brought some food too :)

December 9, 2020
  • meghansmithTransplant Patient

haha oh my gosh!! Maybe they aren't for everyone... but I certainly can't have enough candles! 😄

December 9, 2020
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

Agree @meghansmith - I have a stash of them home and go through them quickly! Can never have too many! @lescp3 eThe person probably could not use the candles all at once and def not at the hospital!

December 14, 2020