Kidney — TransplantLyfe

Kidney

Transplant question

Jtannen1987Transplant Patient
July 24, 2022 in Kidney

i have a question so what if I have a common cold at the time of transplant can I still be transplanted? Anybody know the answer?

1 - 9 of 9 Other Answers

• StaceywrightTransplant Patient

Good question. I’m pre-transplant as well, and getting close so I’d like to know as well. :)

July 24, 2022
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

Great question! I think so - they'd probably just test you to make sure its not infectious/severe/anything other than a cold. I would imagine it would differ with individual cases though. Best thing to do if you're unsure is check with your team!

July 25, 2022
  • Sdey0522Expert
    Transplant Patient

@Jtannen1987 - good question!

The best answer is, it depends. Rest assured, once you get 'the call', you'll be tested for sure. These days especially, testing for covid-19 is standard protocol at most transplant centers.

Since you are listed for a transplant, anytime you have any symptoms/side-effects/questions etc - no matter how small/petty it may appear, it's always a good idea to check with the team/doctors/nurse practitioners et. al.

Best of luck to you!

July 25, 2022
  • Smbh4206Transplant Patient

That is definitely a question for the transplant team. Right after surgery you will be on heavy immunosuppressants. What would be the effects of having an infection and then having your immune system suppressed? When I got to the hospital prior to my transplant, I had another chest X-ray, urine test and more blood work right before any surgery. Oh and of course a Covid test. I recently had a friend who was at the hospital and prepped for surgery when his Covid test came back positive. No surgery.

November 25, 2022
  • ShelbycreatesTransplant Patient

From what I understood, any illness/virus can postpone a surgery 😩but definitely check with your team. I’m sure it differs everywhere.

November 28, 2022
  • cturtleTransplant Patient

It is definitely a judgement call by your transplant team, I had surgery with bronchitis. I was coughing the night before surgery, but they gave me antibiotics and I did just fine.

December 3, 2022
  • ShelbycreatesTransplant Patient

Hi @cturtle how long has it been since you had your transplant? That's great you were able to get it with the antibiotics. Welcome to our community!

December 5, 2022
  • cturtleTransplant Patient

Hello Shelby,

I am gratefully ten years post-transplant.

December 5, 2022
  • Philipjones17Transplant Patient

I dont think a common cold would make a difference maybe the flu or pneumonia.. But dont take my word for it.. Really just a thought

February 16, 2023