Donor — TransplantLyfe

Donor

Donors - how do we ask someone to donate an organ?

KarinExpert
Transplant Patient
November 23, 2020 in Donor

What do you prefer - straight out asking the question or a more indirect way of pointing to the need and hoping for you to step fwd?

1 - 8 of 8 Replies

• meghansmithTransplant Patient

This is definitely a difficult and delicate situation. I was fortunate enough to have people step up to be tested without having to be asked, but knowing that it can sometimes take testing multiple people to find a perfect match, I also made a general post on Instagram explaining my situation and need for donors. By taking this indirect approach I was shocked by how many strangers/people from my past came forward in addition to close family and friends!

November 23, 2020
  • DeAnna_SDonor

From a donor perspective I think there needs to be a LOT more education/information about living donor programs. I think there are a lot more people like me who would gladly step up if they knew how easy it is to start the process, how much control they can have, and that there are financial resources to make it possible.

January 27, 2021
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

Let us create that awareness! I am sure my sisters and father would love to be part of that too @Lisa_Hehenberger @Iris8324 @mhehen

January 27, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I took a really direct approach and just started asking everybody their blood type. @Jacob_Hiebert how did I convince you to give me your liver?

January 28, 2021
  • [Deleted User]Transplant Patient
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    April 8, 2021
  • mikemTransplant Patient

Indeed @DeAnna_S Lots of groups, but it's a great question. My first two transplants came from deceased donors. The third is from a living donor. The American Living Organ Donor Fund exists as just one group to help living donors. A lot of groups have initiatives to help people ask someone to be a donor or to try to help them find a donor. Some groups exists to convince people to become living donors. I can tell you that one of the biggest challenges that the ALODF group faces is convincing people to donate money to essentially care that living donors might need financial help or someone to look out for them in another way. I don't know a lot about fundraising, but it always seems easier to get people to write checks or open up their pockets when appealing to them about someone who is sick (like I was for many years) rather than healthy. I also always find it hard to ask people to get involved. But, that's just my opinion. Take it for what it's worth!

April 13, 2021
  • csmacDonor

In my experience, I found it unfortunate the need/process for living donors was not really “advertised”, along similar ways blood product needs/donors are solicited from the eligible public. I had to research & pursue the kidney donation process on my own, & even after connecting with a Donation Center & Donor coordinator, I had to convince them this is something I wanted to do. It requires determination, effort & continued follow up by the donor to get: physically evaluated, matched & scheduled. It is worth the pursuit, but the pursuit did not come from the donor Center, rather the effort was up to the living donor to pursue & advance the steps until finally ready to schedule the donation procedure.

May 14, 2022
  • ShelbycreatesExpert
    Transplant Patient

I made a FB post and some family members started to get tested. I didn't realize how hard it would be to match me, so I was bumped to the top of the list when a match came up for me (I was 99% sensitized). I had no idea what that meant at the time and didn't fully understand it until after my transplant when doctors kept remarking on how amazing it was that they'd found a match for me. They told me that if that deceased donor hadn't worked out, that it likely would be another decade before I'd find another match.

May 17, 2022