Kidney — TransplantLyfe

Kidney

Best way to use medical weed after transplant

Bigjtw12277Transplant Patient
August 3, 2022 in Kidney

whats everyone’s best way to use medical weed after kidney transplant ?

1 - 5 of 5 Replies

• AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

Liver transplant here - I use CBD for pain and anxiety. I've never been one for getting high, and my transplant team told me if I do use cannabis to just make sure the THC is never more than the CBD.

Depending on where you live, certain places are more against it than others. The medical community as a whole still doesn't have a consensus on this. I also monitor my usage against my labs, just for my own curiousity, and it's monitored by my medical team. I will also add I don't think I use anything consistently enough that anything would happen. But definitely check regulations in your area, be safe and talk to your medical team if you have questions about your individual situation

August 3, 2022
  • PabloTransplant Patient

I have not heard that pot is medically bad post-transplant, but my doctors recommended against it because of the possibility of forgetting to take meds on schedule. Your mileage may vary.

August 3, 2022
  • KristeTransplant Patient

My team told me it is fine as long as it is edibles. I eat one every night, it helps me stay off of other meds, I already take enough as it is

August 10, 2022
  • AnnMarieCare Partner

I just want to chime in as a chronic illness patient not transplant but I have to say I am a full believer in medical cannabis and CBD but check with your doctor as always. AND use a dispensary, when you have health conditions you want to make sure you are using medical grade :)

August 10, 2022
  • Sdey0522Expert
    Transplant Patient

Please check with your team & keep them informed about any alternatives to allopathic treatments (including OTC supplementals etc).

Please remember that although there is plenty of data to support the usefulness of CBD, especially when it comes to pain & some anxiety disorders etc - there haven't been a whole lot of clinical trials etc (especially, when it comes to vulnerable solid organ transplant recipients.

We're expected to take the medications prescribed by the doctors, and those drugs have been tested thoroughly. Hence, they're usually accompanied by documented side-effects and also warnings about most of the possible drug interactions etc.

As recipients, we need to be 💯 COMPLIANT especially

when it comes taking medications 'AS DIRECTED/INSTRUCTED'.

Personally speaking, if I start taking CBD et al, I would want to know all the possible side-effects/risks/impact of consuming it along with my regular meds.

I suppose I think that way because I know I want to protect my Gift of Life to prolong life, as much as possible.

Good luck.

August 10, 2022