Heart — TransplantLyfe

Heart

How long does a heart transplant last?

ChefAmandaTransplant Patient
August 3, 2022 in Heart

Does anyone know how long a heart transplant last?

1 - 8 of 8 Other Answers

• HuberbtTransplant Patient

Avg 15-20 but can be 30+

September 19, 2022
  • Sdey0522Expert
    Transplant Patient

Although it's just a number, the 'average' is around 11/12 years. That said, I know several who are doing great even after 15 / 20 / 25 / 30 + years too!

I received my gift on April 20, 2015 - so it's been just over 7 years. I don't think too about the averages - we are all unique. I focus on living the best life possible, in the present, in honor of my Donor Hero & amazing Donor family.

I'm completely blessed, extremely lucky & eternally grateful for the Gift of Life! 💙♻️💚

October 6, 2022
  • Jocelyn44Transplant Patient

I was transplanted July 30th 1990. I am still going strong. I have had one and only transplant. Had a check up yesterday at the Cleveland Clinic. God has been good to me and I have been extremely lucky. I live ever day with joy. My donor was 18 years old and her parents were very generous.

February 19, 2023
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

that's amazing! Any secrets to your success?

I had a liver transplant, but even in this I never wanted to know the odds. I focus on living every day to the fullest, and I'll do that for as many days as I have left.

February 21, 2023
  • Philipjones17Transplant Patient

can very easily be 30+ a good friend of mine is a 32year heart transplant recipient like most transplants it all depends on how good you take care of yourself. thats not 100% of the time because sometime things happen you cant control. but they typically last as long as you take good care of yourself

March 20, 2023
  • ShelbycreatesTransplant Patient

Wow @Philipjones17 that’s a long time! How incredible. I love hearing stories like that.

March 20, 2023
  • Jocelyn44Transplant Patient

I really don’t have any secrets to my longevity. I take my meds like I should, do what ever the transplant team tells me to do. I did go back to work full time after my transplant and think that gave me a different focus as well as my marriage and taking care of my two year old at that time. I have never felt sorry for myself and live it up every day. My daughter is a nurse practitioner now and has just given us our first grandson. God is good and I have had a wonderful life In this world. Thanks to my donor,

March 21, 2023
  • Sdey0522Expert
    Transplant Patient

@Jocelyn44 - congratulations! 🎊 What a remarkable & inspirational story. You & your outcome give me hope (only 8 years post heart transplant).

Keep on ticking! 👍

Q: Did you ever reach out & connect with the amazing Donor Family?

Take care. Stay healthy & blessed.

March 22, 2023