General — TransplantLyfe

General

Has anyone ever transferred to a new transplant hospital while already on the transplant list?

ChefAmandaTransplant Patient
August 3, 2022 in General

Has anyone sent a referral or actually transferred to a new transplant hospital after being on the transplant list for an extended amount of time? I have and I know people who transferred after their transplant but I never met anyone who transferred while being listed.

Tagged:

TransplantLyfe Favorite

• ShelbycreatesTransplant Patient

I was living in Florida when I got on the list. My closest hospital was Oschners in New Orleans. I was listed there but didn't get a call before I moved. We moved to Michigan and I switched transplant centers to University of Michigan because we were basically living on campus there while my husband got his PhD there. I knew it would be next to impossible for me to travel to Louisiana with my 4 kids and husband in school, so I transferred my time over to UUofM and got my call for a transplant less than a year after transferring my time over there. Let me know if you have any more questions. I'm happy to answer them.

August 3, 2022

1 - 8 of 8 Other Answers

• StaceywrightTransplant Patient

I transferred from Cleveland clinic (Weston, Florida) to Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville FL. Mayo listed me after evaluation and some small repeat testing. I did not have a good patient experience at Cleveland Clinic. They told me they were listing me in July, 2021, but never followed through. They mixed up my patient records with another patient and we’re going to deny me for advanced diabetes, when I’ve never had diabetes. It was kind of scary actually, the level of mistakes, and there were more than I just mentioned. Mayo is 100 times better and I’m glad I changed. Especially after losing a year in the list due to negligence.

August 3, 2022
  • ChefAmandaTransplant Patient

@Shelbycreates Thank you for sharing! I will reach out. 😉

August 3, 2022
  • ChefAmandaTransplant Patient

@Staceywright OMG! I’m sorry you had to go thru that. So crazy. I’m glad you advocated for yourself. Thank you for sharing.

August 3, 2022
  • Sdey0522Expert
    Transplant Patient

@Shelbycreates , I'm so glad things worked out for you! 👍

@Staceywright, I'm so sorry about the experience you had with Cleveland Clinic - it's aweful that you even ended up losing a year while there. 😔

Nice job advocating for yourself & transferring to Mayo. Glad to hear that you're listed. Best of luck to you. Your Gift of Life will come at just the right time.

Sending you positive vibes.

Thank you for sharing your experiences on here. 👍

August 13, 2022
  • MelsammTransplant Patient

So sorry you had such a bad experience w/Cleveland clinic.

From what I have read and seen Mayo Clinic looks to me that you are in a good place. I myself was blessed w/ the best transplant plant team at UAB.

Wishing you the best.😊

August 13, 2022
  • A_RayTransplant Patient

I was transferred while I was on the waiting list and was down to days. It was an insurance thing. My insurance company required me to transfer to a hospital that was recognized as a "Center of Excellence". It was probably a good thing and it was seamless but disconcerting as I was on death's doorstep, and I had been with my hepatologist for years. But, it turned out well and I am 5 years+ out. Liver and kidney.

August 13, 2022
  • MelsammTransplant Patient

Congratulations, I am at aw for folks who have to go thru double triple organ transplant.

I am almost 2 years liver transplant.

God bless all transplant patients so grateful for our second chance at life, and especially our donor family’s who made the choice.

August 13, 2022