General — TransplantLyfe

General

Post Transplant Diet

AliEm14Expert
Transplant Patient
August 3, 2022 in General

What is your diet like post transplant?

This, to me, feels like one of those hot topic conversations because everyone is so different. As someone who was primarily g-tube fed and had an insanely restricted diet pre-transplant, coupled with disordered eating, I am not strict at all when it comes to my diet post transplant. The only thing I don't eat is grapefruit (obviously, for the tac interaction).

For the most part I eat fairly healthy, I know where my food comes from, and there's nothing I straight up say I can't/don't eat. I just try to make wise choices (i.e. no gas station sushi)

I know a lot of people aren't like this, and while I've found what works for me I'm curious what works for you.

Tagged:

1 - 7 of 7 Replies

• LazeyKTransplant Patient

I am one of the lucky ones. After my liver transplant in 2018 I have no problems with a diet that includes low sodium and potassium foods.

I have given up alcohol, grapefruit, raw fish and buffets.

August 3, 2022
  • DonnyCTransplant Patient

Died a little inside when I had to give up sushi. Primarily organic plant-based diet but not strict.

August 5, 2022
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

@DonnyC i wonder how much of it is geographical. I live in a land locked province known for raising cattle. Fish isn’t a big thing where I live to begin with, and while I eat sushi occasionally it’s never been a regular part of my diet, even pre transplant (most of the sushi we get here is like California rolls)

meat (especially red meat) was on my no list pre transplant and post transplant I’m finding my body craves it. I do agree I try to do mostly organic (easier here for things like meat and dairy when our neighbours are farmers!)

August 5, 2022
  • DonnyCTransplant Patient

Could be but disliked seafood until someone got me to try sushi when I was about 22 or so. Grew up vegetarian and figured I’d get back to trying it again to see how my body felt.

August 5, 2022
  • Sdey0522Expert
    Transplant Patient

@AliEm14 , I usually eat what I want, in moderation.

We cook with 'light tasting' Olive oil & use very little salt in our cooking. Also, very limited 'sweet stuff'.

Personally, it works out better for me if I don't forcefully deprive myself completely of certain foods.

One caveat: I have my labs drawn every month - so if I notice spikes or dips on any levels, I'll take a closer look to ensure my diet doesn't need to be adjusted/tweaked.

August 9, 2022
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

@Sdey0522 yes! My mental health is far better when I’m not depriving myself. I’m probably similar to you in that if I broke it down it would be the majority of the time I’m eating healthy/following guidelines.

I also use my labs and how my body feels as my biggest guide.

August 9, 2022
  • Philipjones17Transplant Patient

heres a video for for diet for kidney patients

March 28, 2023