Liver — TransplantLyfe

Liver

Mental health tips and tricks?

AliEm14Expert
Transplant Patient
November 26, 2020 in Liver

How do you cope with your mental health following a transplant?

I have severe PTSD from my medical history pre-transplant, and my transplant ended up being a really big ordeal with a lot of medical complications and interventions needed, from which I still have frequent anxiety and mental health issues. I am working with a therapist, but I'd love to hear some of your tips for managing your mental health.

I'm going into the hospital next week for a liver biopsy at 3 months post transplant due to some concerns my doctor had (of course they always say concerns instead of telling you straight up what the issue is and how worried you need to be) and my anxiety is at an all time high. Does this anxious paranoid feeling ever go away? Do you ever stop waiting for the other shoe to drop?

Tagged:

1 - 3 of 3 Replies

• KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

@AliEm14 So hard! I try to stay busy and not allow myself to think, worry or panic / not the best solution but it works :-(

November 28, 2020
  • AnnMarieCare Partner

When we have challenging times it is easy to think many steps ahead of where you want to be than where you are in order to fix it. But thinking too far ahead will cause you be overwhelmed and lose hope. Take one moment at a time. Take one-step at a time. Then when you work through that moment, take pause to celebrate that movement and allow that strength to build your momentum to keep battling forward.

November 28, 2020
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

@AnnMarie so agree w you! I always would think about the very next step you specially when I was in deep physical combats / trouble! Can’t afford the energy to think farther

November 29, 2020