General — TransplantLyfe

General

Anyone with Blood Draw Anxiety?

ShelbycreatesTransplant Patient
Updated August 31, 2022 in General

Hi friends. So many of us transplant patients have been poked and prodded enough to last a life time. So I decided that I’d take a moment to record an audio if you are someone who gets anxiety getting labs drawn.

I remember a few years ago I had to get routine labs and I just sat outside the hospital doors crying on the bench. I couldn’t understand why I was so upset (I know why now).

I created this audio for that version of me who needed some calm guidance on the way to getting labs.

So if this will be helpful to you, feel free to download it here:

https://bit.ly/3CL23lz

Enjoy!

Tagged:

1 - 10 of 10 Replies

• Mholer01Transplant Patient

Unable to download!

August 31, 2022
  • ShelbycreatesTransplant Patient

Oh no! You should get an email that takes you to the download/link to listen.

August 31, 2022
  • Tiny89Transplant Patient

Hello

I don't like to be stuck but I don't mind drawing blood from others. I work as a Phlebotomist/Support Services Supervisor, been doing that for 22 years. So I do understand how you feel

August 31, 2022

Yes, I've rarely had bad experiences with blood draws, but I've had really bad IV experiences. And I've gotten bad results from lab draws, so all of those compounded have made going to get my blood drawn an anxiety-producing event sometimes. I'm grateful for phlebotomists and especially since you've been doing it so long, I'd hope to get someone with your experience!!

September 1, 2022
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I don’t get too anxious prior but I definitely feel it in my body after! I can tell I’m feeling it and going into my “fawn” trauma response. Everyone always compliments me on how well I handle it, but then I wonder are we just congratulating people on repressing trauma?

September 1, 2022
  • StaceywrightTransplant Patient

Not with blood draws, but certainly with IV’s. I have small veins and almost always get stuck several times before they go get the “IV Expert” that can stick anyone. Several times had blood squirting across the room. And the IV’s always hurt after - and during the whole time they are in. The cold refrigerated fluids are uncomfortable, yada yada. So the whole IV process causes me stress and pain. On the bright side, when they are removed I’m SO relieved.

September 1, 2022

Wow! You just described how I deal with medical trauma--definitely going into the fawn survival state. Wow. It's like I abandon myself and then wonder why I feel so terrible afterward. IVs are so terrible for me that I have had to get very proactive with people. I always want to be "the easygoing one", but it hasn't served me well when my arms end up bruised with blown-out veins. I've got a new thing to journal about, since I've never thought about it this way before.

September 1, 2022

You have described my experience! Now I make them get the ultrasound and the vascular specialty team. Thank heavens I haven't had to worry about IVs in a while! It was a regular occurrence for a few years of my life. I wish they had better methods for those of us who KNOW it's going to be challenging for them to stick.

September 1, 2022
  • TServoldTransplant Patient

This is fantastic. Thanks for recording and sharing it. I always get nervous for blood draws. The draw itself doesn't seem to bother me, even though I'm a hard stick and have been my whole life, but waiting on the results eats me up!! I always make friends with the phlebotomy team, and try to go to the same lab and get the same team each time. Waiting on the results though. On the agony. Feels like I'm always waiting for bad news and let down.

September 6, 2022

I was thinking of doing a follow-up one for after you get the labs taken! You must have read my mind. I'll let you know when I release it.

September 6, 2022