Kidney — TransplantLyfe

Kidney

Probiotics

stwbearTransplant Patient
September 2, 2022 in Kidney

Hi,

I had a kidney transplant 28 years ago and thank "God" have done pretty well.

I was recently diagnosed with a bacterial lung infection due to an ongoing cough post car accident. My pulmonologist ordered Augmentin 875mg every12 hours. From what I've heard it can cause stomach issues ( nausea/ diarrhea).

My pulmonary physician suggested taking a probiotic while I'm on it. She also suggested yogurt but I hate it!

I wanted to see if any of you with kidney transplants take probiotics?

If so what type/ brand? I want to make sure it's safe to take too.

Have you had any issues with taking it?

Appreciate your thoughts.

Thank you 😀

Tagged:

1 - 2 of 2 Replies

• StaceywrightTransplant Patient

Hi there! It’s exciting to hear that you’ve had your transplant for 28 years! I’m a few months from kidney transplant, and have been told the best I could hope for is 20 years with a live donor transplant. I apologize that my advice is not post transplant, but I do take a good probiotic now. The company is Modere and the product is call Tri-biotic. It’s a pre, pro and post biotic Good luck! Hopefully someone else can respond with a referral who’s taking biopics post transplant.

September 2, 2022
  • ShelbycreatesExpert
    Transplant Patient

I’ve gone on and off with probiotics. (4 years post kidney transplant) I do know antibiotics can really tear up your stomach. I mostly make sure to get a probiotic that requires refrigeration so that it’s active and alive. I don’t stick to a certain brand, but hopefully others have more specific suggestions.

It sounds like you’ve been through a lot recently. Sending healing and love from Ohio! 💞

September 2, 2022