Kidney — TransplantLyfe

Kidney

Sleepy Kidney

ShelbycreatesTransplant Patient
September 22, 2022 in Kidney

Hi friends. I was wondering if anyone else experienced a sleepy kidney (delayed graft function) after their transplant. Mine took 7 weeks to "wake up" and begin working. If you had a sleepy kidney, did you have to do dialysis and how long did it take for yours to start working?

Tagged:

1 - 4 of 4 Replies

• Smbh4206Transplant Patient

My kidney took a little less than a week to fully wake up. A sleepy kidney is not something that either I forgot that I had been told prior to transplant or just was not aware of. With that said, I still had several sessions of dialysis. Then one day after an appointment, when I was expecting a dialysis session again I was just sent home. Dialysis was behind me.

November 25, 2022
  • ShelbycreatesTransplant Patient

That’s awesome! I had a preemptive transplant, so I didn’t have dialysis access prior to the surgery. I did get IVIG and plasmapheresis after my transplant, but they didn’t want to try dialysis.

November 25, 2022
  • brookegurradExpert
    Transplant Patient

@Shelbycreates, I've never heard the term "preemptive transplant." What does that mean?

November 28, 2022
  • ShelbycreatesTransplant Patient

I probably should have spelled it pre-emptive transplant. It means I got a kidney transplant before I needed to start dialysis. I was getting close, but not there.

November 28, 2022