General — TransplantLyfe

General

Feeling like you failed

AliEm14Expert
Transplant Patient
October 4, 2022 in General

I know I can't be alone in this feeling - how do you cope with feeling like you failed? There is a lot of feeling like i failed that went into admitting I actually needed a transplant, and this trauma loves to come back up when I least expect it. I had labs last week that came back less than stellar. We made some changes to my dosages, I'm getting repeat labs, it's not a huge cause for concern yet, but that feeling of failure is creeping back in. I'm looking for someone to "blame" for my bad numbers, and the most likely person is myself. What did I eat, what did I do, did I cause this?

I know none of us did anything to cause needing a transplant, or less than ideal lab values or whatever, but how do you cope with that feeling of failure being present?

I was reminded of what @mikeveny shared in his AMA a few weeks ago, about grief and getting down on the ground. I spent a few hours after the call yesterday just laying on my kitchen floor, letting myself feel my feelings, knowing that just because logically i can see they aren't true doesn't mean my body doesn't feel them as true, and that it is safe to let myself have those feelings.

1 - 2 of 2 Replies