Kidney/Pancreas — TransplantLyfe

Kidney/Pancreas

Hospital visit during Covid

KarinExpert
Transplant Patient
December 3, 2020 in Kidney/Pancreas

Today was the first time I was back at the hospital where I had my kidney transplant since Covid started changing our lives - I have had my blood drawn elsewhere during the spring and summer but today they needed to do some more specific tests (tissue matching etc) that could not be done outside the university hospital. Wow - it was a different world compared to before - the security and the severity of Covid was overwhelming - I for the first tine in many years felt very sick and scared - vulnerable is the rotor word. 29 vials later and I ran out! Hoping my tests come back w good news - always an anxious few hours for me - and I normally call the dr and the nurses many times until I get them...

1 - 6 of 6 Replies

• kashknCare Partner

I completely agree with you! I was recently at a hospital visit with my mother and all the measures to be taken for the visit were so different than pre-COVID. Rooting for you and good news on your results!! ❤️

December 3, 2020
  • kashknCare Partner
    December 3, 2020
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

🥰 @kashkn

December 3, 2020
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient
    December 3, 2020
  • meghansmithTransplant Patient

It is definitely very strange! I've gone back to my transplant hospital for both outpatient ERCPs and was admitted once for a week during the pandemic. Luckily my admission was during a downward slope of cases so that I was able to be on the transplant floor with the normal transplant nurses who I've come to know... during the "peak" in March they turned the transplant floor into a covid floor due to its proximity to an ICU and the transplant patients were moved to the ortho floor. I'm curious to see if that happens again as cases increase. Definitely odd not having visitors while admitted, and seeing the hospital so empty - like a ghost town!

December 3, 2020
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

Waiting room

December 3, 2020